Sumo Digital is one of the UK's most prolific and secure independent game developers with a talented team of over 290 staff currently based in Sheffield. A second UK studio in Nottingham opened in March 2016 and has rapidly grown to a 50+ strong team with many fantastic new opportunities on the horizon.
Since our inception in 2003 we have had a string of successful titles across all gaming platforms for partners that include Microsoft, SEGA, Sony, Disney and many more.
Our most recent successes include Forza Horizon 2 (Xbox 360), LittleBigPlanet 3 (PlayStation 4, and PlayStation 3), Disney Infinity 3.0 Toy Box Speedway (multi-platform) , and our first self-published title Snake Pass (multi-platform) . We are also incredibly proud to be working on the highly anticipated Crackdown 3 (Xbox One), Dead Island 2 (multi-platform ) and Project Nova plus several other exciting but currently unannounced projects.
2018 will be Sumo's biggest and best year ever. Come and be part of it.
Role and Purpose
Sumo is looking for a talented Technical Level Designer to join an experienced and passionate team in delivering an exciting AAA title. Focussed on collaborating with all disciplines to create set-pieces that fully utilize the game's mechanics and realise the level's vision . This is an opportunity for those who want to leave their mark on an already established, multi-million selling franchise.
As a Technical Level Designer, you will:
- Collaborate with cross discipline teams in the design and execution of the game's overall vision
- Be responsible for the technical elements of level creation such as creating setpieces and solving complex scripting problems
- Be an evangelist and a knowledge base for the games mechanics, tools, and technical constraints
- Create prototypes and level layouts proving the game mechanics and identifying needs
- Understand the role of pacing, narrative, theme and mechanics in creating compelling gameplay experiences
- Deliver content within quality, schedule and technical limitations
- Train and guide Level Designers in correct scripting of all gameplay elements
Skills Experience and Qualifications
Essential skills and experience:
- Technically skilled and capable of keeping an overview of many dependencies and interconnections
- Shipped at least one AAA third-person action title as a gameplay designer or technical level designer
- Experience with Unreal Blueprints or other visual scripting tools
- Adept at combining rules, constraints and affordances into challenging and engaging gameplay
- Self-motivated towards solving creative problems and technical challenges
Desirable skills and experience:
- Shipped at least one AAA title using UE3/4 or similar engine
- Experience of developing gameplay mechanics
- Experience of designing and integrating puzzles into your levels
What We Offer
We offer a super benefits package including generous holidays, flexitime and excellent employee benefits. Further perks include our legendary annual Sumo Big Day Out, plus epic Christmas parties, money on your birthday, on site free gym and free fruit for everyone! Our new, regular studio Game Jams are a highlight - staff spend a full day developing and pitching their own game ideas for possible development by Sumo.
Our environment is relaxed, friendly and built upon the basis of every team member having the opportunity to shine and have a realisable input into the games we create. We are a very happy ship with lots of incredibly nice people that partake in shared interest groups, lunchtime clubs, charity fundraising events and lots of socialising.
We are proud to be located in Sheffield, just off J34 of the M1 offering easy road and rail access from Leeds, Manchester and the Midlands. Sheffield itself enjoys a wealth of facilities including world class sporting facilities, stunning theatres and galleries, shopping, restaurants and incredible parks and green spaces - all on the doorstep of the beautiful Peak District National Park. We love it here.
Please apply via the Apply Now button or click Email this job to a friend to refer someone you know.
For a confidential chat about this role please call our Recruiter Grace Jackson on +44 (0)114 2426766 or email GJackson@Sumo-Digital.com