Senior Lighting Artist - Gears of War - The Coalition
We are seeking a highly creative and motivated Lighting Artist to work on the Gears of War franchise. The ideal candidate has a thorough knowledge of lighting fundamentals including value, color and composition and an excellent understating of how these come together to shape game environments and inform gameplay. You will also be expected to play a role in solving technical problems through collaboration with Art and Engineering.
- Work closely with Art, Cinematic and Programming Teams to create industry leading visuals across a variety of environments, characters and cinematic sequences.
- Craft compelling lighting which supports story, art direction and gameplay objectives.
- Translate conceptual illustrations into outstanding real-time lighting visuals.
- Work with Art and Programming teams to anticipate and solve technical challenges within given constraints and visual requirements.
- Be proactive about seeking feedback and communication with the Art Directors, Lighting Lead, Cinematic Director and other relevant departments.
- Develop and maintain a strong understanding of current industry technology, constraints and trends.
- Participate in portfolio reviews, recruitment interviews, and assist in finding and retaining talent.
- Must have 5-10 years of experience in video games, film/television.
- Experience shipping AAA games preferable.
- Art-related degree and/or comparable professional experience. - Outstanding knowledge of both real-time and pre-rendered lighting principals (dynamic lighting, light bake solutions, sub surface scattering, HDR, physically based rendering).
- Thorough understanding of how light, shadow and color create tone and mood.
- Exceptional grasp for compositional storytelling and cinematography.
- Understanding of VFX, cinematic or feature film animation production pipelines and workflows.
- Background in real world photography, cinematography and lighting a plus.
- Relevant 2D and 3D software experience - Maya, Photoshop, Proprietary Lighting Tools.
- Ability to work collaboratively - must be open to direction and able to embrace change.
- Unreal Engine or other games engine experience a plus.
- Ability to organize and manage time effectively to meet deadlines
ABOUT THE COALITION:
The Coalition is a growing team of talented, creative, fun-loving professionals from around the world who are united in their passion for Gears of War. Located in Vancouver, Canada, the studio is dedicated to pushing the Gears franchise to new heights with its belief that if you want to go far, go together.