About Splash Damage
Located in the London borough of Bromley, Splash Damage is all about crafting the world's most engaging multiplayer experiences. Our recent projects include our multiplayer shooter Dirty Bomb as well as Gears of War 4. We're growing our studio for exciting new projects on PC and console, and are looking for talented and passionate developer to help create them.
We look after our staff with a comprehensive package of perks and benefits, and have been awarded The Sunday Times's Best Companies accreditation three years running.
We believe our teams create better experiences when they have a range of perspectives and opinions to draw from, and we are committed to increasing diversity across our studio to consistently enable that.
As Splash Damage's Creative Director, you will be a key member of a leadership team re-sponsible for the creative vision, direction and success of entire franchise / product group with a multi-year view; striving for growth and innovation.
You will represent and reconcile the needs of the business, the player, strategic concerns and team members' needs on the project(s) and franchise. You will be responsible for the output and growth of the entire design discipline on your project(s) and for the morale, alignment and cohesion of all team members, across disciplines.
Beyond your project(s) you will work to share knowledge, improve standards and process-es across the studio and across disciplines, albeit with a focus on design.
You will regularly communicate the vision throughout the studio. You will oversee the crea-tion and maintenance of documentation including the GDD and wiki pages, though you will largely communicate verbally; spending time with each team member, at their desks, en-suring they understand the vision and design, are "bought-in" and have what they need to do their jobs. You will ensure the team feel the progress they are making and what their work is in service of, in the bigger picture.
You will regularly and effectively communicate with any external partners or publishers; managing those relationships, presenting the creative achievements of the team, negotiat-ing feature / change requests. You will communicate outwards to press, communities and fans in various formats from live appearances to pre-recorded interviews to forum en-gagement acting as both an evangelist and representative of the product and as an am-bassador for Splash Damage.
You will manage, mentor, develop & coach Associate Creative Directors and Lead Game Designers. You will be integral to the planning on your project(s) working alongside Pro-duction to create roadmaps, hiring and succession plans, and scoping exercises.
As a leader you will set the tone on the project(s) and ensure Splash Damage's values are embraced and embodied by you team(s); including ensuring your team(s) have autonomy and do not feel dictated to.
Essential Skills and Experience
- A passion for making and playing games
- A deep understanding of all aspects of design with mastery in many areas includ-ing; feedback, controls, balance, narrative, game-feel, retention, usability, onboarding, social mechanics
- At least 6 years of industry experience in a Lead position and 3 shipped AAA cur-rent gen or last gen (PS3 / Xbox 360) console or PC title that featured a multiplayer component, worked on from beginning to end
- At least one shipped title featuring post-launch monetization beyond simple DLC packs; ideally a Free-to-play title.
- Fierce attention to detail
- Leadership experience, including the running of running a multi-person design team; man-management, mentoring, line-management
- Experience of being the vision holder on a project, communicating that vision out and getting buy-in from your team and external stakeholders
- Experience of being the flag-bearer / champion for a product including giving presentations to press and at conferences / events
- Experience in creating first or third person shooters
- Excellent verbal and presentation skills
- Excellent written communication skills, including writing high quality and thorough design documentation
- Knowledge of industry trends in regards to genres, gameplay, development mod-els, and financial models
- Experience with design documentation, diagram and flow-chart creation, including wiki-based design documentation and spreadsheets
- Experience with source-control applications (SVN, Perforce, AlienBrain, etc.)
- The ability to work collaboratively with other disciplines and experience of being a key part of a leadership group
- Strong maths skills; formulas, probability, statistics and balancing
- Highly experienced with Microsoft Office Products and other business software in-cluding: Word, Outlook, PowerPoint, Excel, Visio, Adobe Photoshop or similar
- Strong problem solving skills including lateral thinking
- An understanding of systems, systemic design, emergent gameplay and the place of procedural content generation in development
- Deep player empathy
- An understanding of player psychology and motivations
Preferred Skills and Experience
- The experience of working on a family of products / a franchise
- Undergraduate degree in Video Game Design, Computer Science, Marketing, En-tertainment or a form of technical training
- Experience running the live phase of a game as a service, including using teleme-try / metrics to inform design and content decisions
- Experience of parsing the results of, and acting on, market research e.g. Focus groups, qualitative and quantitative surveys etc.
- Experience of prototyping gameplay mechanics using UE4, UE3, Unity, or similar