Lead Concept Artist
More information about this job
Jagex are looking for a passionate and experienced Lead Concept Artist, to primarily work on our flagship MMORPG RuneScape, as well as supporting other exciting new ventures. You’ll need to be an exceptional artist, and be comfortable working with 3D artists, designers, and developers, to produce exciting and varied artwork.
Leading our highly creative in-house concept art team, you’ll provide day to day support, inspiration and highlight any training needs. In return you’ll receive a competitive salary and host of benefits, like free gym membership and private health care, flexible working, free cycle repair, fresh fruit delivered to your team every day, regular team training days and internal game jams to name just a few.
Joining us is also a social experience, so expect team events once a quarter as well as company-wide celebrations in our newly refurbished office, which includes contemporary break out areas, gaming zones, a huge Atrium with tiered seating and our own private licensed bar complete with pool table and darts!
If you like the sound of this and think you would be a perfect fit in one of our creative teams, then check out the key information below and get in touch – we can’t wait to hear from you!
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
- Helps explore a wide variety of exciting new ideas for environments, creatures, character kit and weapons.
- Design and produce artwork for inspiration and reference use by the 3D art team.
- Assists the Art Directors to maintain visual style of the game and define artistic goals.
- Lead the Concept Art team, including assisting in their personal development, training & recruitment.
- Participate in critiquing your work and the work of other artists.
- Mindful of industry trends and techniques, evaluating competitive products, learning new software packages and traditional art methods.
- Setting, following, maintaining and overseeing best practices
- Able to contribute to guiding and mentoring groups of artists, contractors, and outsourcers.
- Portfolio demonstrating exceptional environment & character designs.
- Strong grasp of composition, color theory, value, form, scale, shape language, and silhouette.
- Exceptional digital drawing skills using Photoshop, and a mastery of colour theory, and lighting.
- Ability to demonstrate creative and original concepts, take and give art direction.
- Comfortable receiving constructive criticism and making artistic adjustments.
- Experience of leading a team of artists in a games studio environment with at least one published title as a lead artist.
- Positive ability to work collaboratively and communicate with multiple teams.
- Energetic, enthusiastic, self-motivated with a strong work ethic and a high level of initiative.
- Comfortable working in a variety of art styles.
- Experience with 3D modelling/sculpting package (Maya, Max, Zbrush).
- Experience of MMO and/or RPG games development
- A passion for creating and playing video games.
Jagex are an equal opportunities employer and positively encourages applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, religion or belief.