Reflections, a Ubisoft studio is a video games development company based in Newcastle, UK. Collaborating with Ubisoft's international creative teams on projects such as Assassins Creed Syndicate, Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon, online open-world RPG "The Division" as well as the adventure platformer "Grow Home". With a host of other top titles to our name such as open-world action adventure 'Watch Dogs', MMO racer "The Crew" and the latest instalment in the world's No.1 dance game franchise 'Just Dance 2015' Reflections' objective is to combine technical expertise, flair and innovation to create and contribute to successful and memorable games. We are looking for Pioneering, Obsessive Humans to cement its reputation as an industry leading studio within the UK and the world.
Develop gameplay elements which facilitate the playability of the game (the link between the player's actions, character's behaviour, and the consequences on the evolution of the game) and complex gameplay mechanisms.
• Translate the game design into concrete gameplay features;
• Improve playability with bug-free gameplay features;
• Implement and optimise the interaction controls and systems with the game designer to ensure fluid playability;
• Use prototyping techniques to demonstrate the validity/invalidity of a gameplay idea;
• Determine and fix the gameplay bugs detected by the production and quality control teams;
• Establish the technical possibilities for the different gameplay features;
• Analyse and understand the game design documents in order to define the required features and game systems that must be developed in the engine;
• Validate and verify if the newly developed systems meet project intentions and are coherent with the existing code;
• Support the Lead Gameplay Programmer in any ad hoc tasks and duties.
Skills and Knowledge
• Passionate about playing and making games;
• 3 years commercial software development experience with significant involvement in 1 published game in a gameplay programming capacity;
• Ability to work efficiently with large, existing code bases;
• Good understanding of gameplay technology, and can use technical knowledge in various areas such as mathematics, physics, animation, artificial intelligence to implement gameplay features, and believable behaviours;
• Ability to work in an iterative environment with game designers to quickly prototype gameplay features;
• Excellent C/C++ programming skills, with good knowledge of object oriented development;
• Knowledge of scripting languages like LUA;
• Familiarity with common scheduling, task and issue tracking tools - MS Project, Jira, etc.;
• Knowledge of common algorithms, data structures and patterns, and the ability to apply them to problems while keeping constraints and performance in mind;
• Able to analyse unfamiliar code of a reasonable complexity to understand and extend the functionality of an existing module;
• Knowledge of different software development methods such as Test Driven Development, Unit Testing, Agile, etc.;
• Able to plan and estimate their own tasks and ensure timely delivery of work;
• Self-motivated and pro-active with a strong work ethic;
• Excellent oral and written communication skills.
• Experience in asynchronous, multithreaded application development is a plus;
• Experience in profiling and optimisation is a plus;
• Experience in software design patterns and UML;
• Experience in working in multi-site collaboration environment is a plus;
Salary: Competitive + Relocation
Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, U.K
Opening date: 23rd November 2017
Closing date for applications: 22nd December 2017
Reflections reserves the right to close this advert earlier than the closing date indicated should we feel we have received sufficient applications.