Senior Character Artist
Division: Arkane Studios Texas | Department: Art | Location: Austin , TX, US
Arkane Studios is seeking a talented Senior Character Artist to join our Austin team! The ideal candidate will have a passion for creating memorable faces, an eye for anatomy, and a strong understanding of composition as applied to characters. As a senior, the ideal candidate should have a discerning eye for style without sacrificing quality or composition, and should be motivated to keep all of the characters to top quality as production needs evolve. The Senior Character artist will also have a hand in researching tools to implement and maintain in the character art pipeline.
- Create and texture highly detailed 3D character models for AAA games
- Work directly with the Art Director and concept artists in the creation of character concepts and take those assets to completion
- Interface with freelance artists and art outsourcers to help convey character art direction as needed
- Collaborate with other disciplines such as tech art, animation and design to understand gameplay requirements, technological issues and how they relate to the character art and implementation
- Serve as mentor for more junior level character artists.
- 5+ years’ experience in video games and shipped at least 1 AAA title as a Senior Character Artist
- Advanced Maya, ZBrush (or Mudbox), Substance Painter, Substance Designer and Photoshop skills
- A solid foundation of creating Physically based materials and texture balancing as applied to in-game lighting
- Extensive fine art background and a strong understanding of color, the human form/anatomy and structure/silhouette in respect of modeling
- Able to work in a fast-paced environment and comfortable dealing with ambiguity
- Strong understanding of human anatomy, animal anatomy, facial anatomy and how it applies to facial animation, etc.
- Experienced with PBR engines like idTech, CryEngine, Unreal, or Unity
- Excellent follow through and takes initiative to solve problems
- Excellent communication and time management skills
- Passion for video games and game development
- Familiarity with asset tracking and issue tracking tools such as Perforce and JIRA a plus
- All applicants must submit work samples in order to be considered
- Ideal portfolio will consist of highly detailed character models (humans & creatures) realistic textures (skin, hair, worn clothing & accessories), accurate anatomy, etc.
How to Apply