About Splash Damage
Splash Damage is an independently-owned studio on the outskirts of London, and we're all about crafting engaging multiplayer experiences. Our recent projects include our multiplayer shooter Dirty Bomb as well as Gears of War 4.
We're currently expanding our team for exciting new projects and are looking for superstars to help us make them happen.
We look after our staff with a comprehensive package of perks and benefits, and have been awarded The Sunday Times's Best Companies accreditation three years running. Come join us!
As Splash Damage's Game Designer you will be responsible for a number of major features, levels or areas of a game, driving end-to-end implementation across the team, as well as contributing to the definition of the expected quality of the game. Potentially you will be required to create the overall high-level design for an entire game of small scope.
You will work to create a unified game experience and realise and communicate the game vision throughout the studio, ensuring alignment across all disciplines; this is true for both the overall vision and the vision and design for individual features and game elements. You will work with the team to meet the prototyping goals as set out in the master Game Design Document (GDD).
You will mentor & coach Associate Designers and manage & direct other Designers if necessary, including identifying Designers to work on features, levels or products within the studio. You will regularly be part of peer-reviews.
You will regularly communicate out progress against quality, scope and game vision alignment expectations. You will discuss and explain the rationale behind your decision making and listen, iterating on feedback from other disciplines or Designers. You will regularly present the areas of the game you are responsible for to the studio. Where necessary you will speak to the media and prepare key product messaging for the media.
You will define and implement feature optimisations and tuning plans demonstrating a strong understanding of metrics and development restrictions; you will own the tuning for accountable features or levels. You will lead focus group sessions, generate feedback reports, deliver them to the product team and integrate relevant feedback into the product design.
You will verify task estimates provided by junior staff and in turn work with your lead to give your own accurate estimates for work as well as logging work in management software. You will provide input to Production / Management on project schedules throughout development to prioritise tasks / workload for the developers responsible for their assigned feature-set, in alignment with the product vision. You will articulate the impact of changes to the game-design to the developers on your team.
Essential Skills and Experience
- A passion for making and playing games
- At least 2 years of industry experience and 1 shipped AAA current gen or last gen (PS3 / Xbox 360) console or PC title that featured a multiplayer component, worked on from beginning to end
- The ability to work independently without close supervision
- Experience in creating first or third person shooters
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Experience writing high quality and thorough design documentation
- Experience of prototyping gameplay mechanics using UE4, Source, or similar
- Experience with design documentation, diagram and flow-chart creation
- Experience with source-control applications (SVN, Perforce, AlienBrain, etc.)
- The ability to work collaboratively with other disciplines
Preferred Skills and Experience
- Presentation skills and experience with PowerPoint
- UE4 Blueprints / UE3 UnrealScript
- Traditional art skills
- Experience with 3DSMax, Maya, or other professional 3D modelling software
- Experience with Adobe Photoshop or similar
- Experience with scripting or programming language
- Experience with wiki-based design documentation
- Undergraduate degree in Video Game Design, Computer Science, Marketing, Entertainment or a form of technical training
Perks & Benefits
Alongside our brand-new headquarters, stocked up drinks fridge and a never-ending supply of coffee, all of our roles come complete with the following perks and benefits:
- Private medical insurance that will covers you, your partner, and children
- Private dental insurance that significantly reduces cost of dentistry for you, your partner, and children
- Pension scheme where the company matches your contribution
- Complimentary gym membership
- Free eye tests + discounted glasses
- Quarterly revenue share after 1 year of service
- Brand new state of the art office
- Life drawing classes, and massage allowance
- Free fruit juices and soft drinks + Beer and pastries on a Friday.
- Childcare voucher scheme
- Employee assistance programme
- Referral fee
Find out more on our Perks & Benefits page.
Splash Damage offers a fun, friendly and relaxed working environment. Everyone here shares a passion for video games and that shows in daily office life. We also regularly get together for social events like pub quizzes, cinema nights, football, and company parties.
Find out more on our Culture page.