Lead UI Designers at Splash Damage are responsible for leading our UI teams from concepting to launch and beyond, championing the player's experience at every step of the way.
Lead UI Designers establish, drive, and own the execution of the user experience vision and the resulting visual style, ensuring consistency as well as a high level of quality. They build project roadmaps for UI and plan sprints for their team, effectively prioritising work to make ideal use of each team member's skills. They work closely with other disciplines to ensure designs and assets are ready in time for the UI engineering team to implement. Able to contribute to all aspects of the UI design process, they're not afraid to dive into hands-on work when necessary.
We trust our Lead UI Designers with a large degree of autonomy throughout the development cycle, and they put the needs of their team over their own. They are capable leaders who can keep their team of designers motivated, providing effective direction, feedback, and opportunities for growth along the way. They regularly work with the title's leadership team to solve project-level issues and represent their discipline effectively both internally as well as to external partners.
We believe that leveling up our skills is an essential part of the job and offer regular training opportunities and mentorship to all our UI designers.
- Strong leadership skills, an enthusiastic attitude and team-first mentality; you give effective direction and feedback to your team, and can nurture professional growth in your team
- A very strong background in UI; you've set the overall UI vision and visual design direction for at least 1 commercial project and led a UI team from inception to delivery
- Experience setting up workflows and project documentation; you know what's needed for your team to be able to deliver to the standard required
- Player-centred approach to UI design, with solid knowledge of design processes and methodologies
- Exceptional fluency in current and upcoming design as well as typographical trends, with a keen eye for composition, clarity and usability
- Thorough understanding of animation principles and the ability to visualise UI animations in AfterEffects or Flash
- Proven time management and organisational skills; you can plan your project at both roadmap and sprint-level and know how to prioritise your team's work for maximum impact
- Comfortable working autonomously; you can get the job done without close supervision and make smart decisions with the information at hand
- Excellent communication and presentation skills; you're able to present ideas clearly and confidently to audiences of all experience levels
- A real passion for games UI and clear enthusiasm for playing games
Even better if you have:
- Previous experience in a Lead role in game development
- Experience in user research and focus testing
- Experience working with UMG
About Splash Damage
Located in the London borough of Bromley, Splash Damage is all about crafting the world's most engaging multiplayer experiences. Our recent projects include our multiplayer shooter Dirty Bomb as well as Gears of War 4. We're growing our studio for exciting new projects on PC and console, and are looking for talented and passionate developer to help create them.
We look after our staff with a comprehensive package of perks and benefits, and have been awarded The Sunday Times's Best Companies accreditation three years running.
We believe our teams create better experiences when they have a range of perspectives and opinions to draw from, and we are committed to increasing diversity across our studio to consistently enable that.