PURPOSE OF THE ROLE
We have a number of exciting opportunities for talented and enthusiastic Tools Programmers to join our Shared Technology Group here at Frontier Developments in Cambridge. Tools development is an essential part of Frontier’s own COBRA engine and the games we make; providing and supporting the development environment that our game teams use. Tools code interacts with specific runtime engine components as well as with industry-standard development software. As a Tools Programmer you will work with and alongside our technology on company-wide solutions that span a large amount of the game development process, from low-level engine systems through to higher-level content creation pipeline functionality and optimisations.
- Creating the development tools that we use to build games
- Working with other programmers and content creators to design effective workflows and development pipelines
- Responsibility for the development, maintenance, documentation and overall quality of tools within your specific area of expertise
- Provide support to project specific development teams as required.
- Ability to communicate effectively with team members
- Willingness to work collaboratively across multiple disciplines
- Good analytical and problem solving skills
- Strong attention to detail
- Ability to give and receive constructive feedback in order to strive for continuous improvement
- Good at managing competing demands for your time.
QUALIFICATIONS, SKILLS & EXPERIENCE
- Either a good degree in Computer Science, Maths or Physics or a solid track record in a similar programming role
- Industry experience is not essential, but passion and enthusiasm are
- A good working knowledge of C# and ideally C++, WPF / XAML
- Experience of Windows Forms, Python, Lua, or content creation packages (I.e. Maya / 3dsMax / Photoshop / ZBrush etc) is useful
- Familiarity with multi-threading, networking, or console development is a plus.