CONCEPT ARTIST - VEHICLE AND WEAPON SPECIALIST
PURPOSE OF THE ROLE
Elite Dangerous brings the player a vast host of ships and weaponry which must not only follow the iconic styling already in place but also broaden the Elite visual canon ready for technological developments coming our way in the near future.
The successful candidate will take an idea from rough sketches through to final 2d concept while at all times working with the vision holders. The specialism in vehicles and weaponry means the design must not only look good but make functional sense as a machine.
The final concept will perfectly describe the new hardware to the art team tasked with authoring the final ingame asset. With this in mind we expect the successful candidate to have some experience in 3d software, ideally Maya, and use that as part of the concept process to communicate the idea and ensure smooth transition from final concept to in-game model.
While the role is initially focused on Elite Dangerous we fully expect the successful candidate to utilise their keen concept skills on the breadth Frontier’s diverse and growing catalogue of games.
- Support the art director and concept lead in developing the hardware concept
- Be comfortable creating superb public facing, high-end digital concept art, that not only sets the target for the game but also evangelises the game to an expectant audience
- Have exceptional and proven experience in vehicular or hardware concept, hardware product design
- Communicate visual ideas within the team quickly, through well-honed drawn skills, both digitally and in traditional media.
- Proven observational skills. You won’t be able to tell good lies if you don’t understand the world around you
- Enthusiastic, self-motivated with an outstanding work ethic
- Ability to give, take and learn from constructive criticism as well as collaborate on ideas while displaying openness to the requirements of the project
- Great communication skills whether they be drawn, written or verbal
- Natural desire to create fantastic player experiences and how your own concepts can help achieve that goal.
QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE
- Mastery of Photoshop and digital painting techniques tailored for hard surface concept
- Minimum of 3 years industry experience in games, film or TV.
- Great understanding of proportion, scale, perspective, lighting and colour
- Strong grasp of real-world machinery, weapon function engineering; the kind of knowledge which makes your designs feel authentic
- Experience with 3d software of some kind which can prove indispensable for blockout stages
- Degree in relevant traditional art skill, i.e. illustration, fine art etc.
- Contemporary mechanical, vehicle or product design training
- Concept art skills outside of hard-surface
- Keen interest in games development. It would be useful if you could match your aspiration for the concept to the requirements of the game
- Ability to convey realistic surfaces including the narrative of a vehicle through targeted wear and damage.