3D PROPS AND VEHICLE ARTIST
PURPOSE OF THE ROLE
Elite Dangerous brings the player a vast host of ships and weaponry which must not only follow the iconic styling already in place but also broaden the Elite visual canon ready for technological developments coming our way in the near future.
The successful candidate will be experienced in hard-surface modelling and be no stranger to vehicles, weaponry and large scale environment props. The successful artist will also be inspired by the use of visual narrative in a model and proactively seek out ways to communicate how a model was used in the game-world.
We expect the artist to be experienced and comfortable following a concept in detail. The exemplar artist can combine their understanding of a visual style, the game’s cannon and even a loose sketch to create a fantastic model that is on-message in every way.
While the role is initially focused on Elite Dangerous we fully expect the successful candidate to utilise their keen visual and sculptural skills on the breadth Frontier’s diverse and growing catalogue of games.
- Communicate visual ideas within the team quickly, through well-honed drawn skills, both digitally and in traditional media
- Create and maintain fully textured 3D prop and modular assets, and to be undaunted working with large-scale locations
- Work with fellow artists to maintain the highest-quality throughout the game world
- Work with the Designers to ensure environments are unified in both fidelity and play experience.
- Ability to appreciate, respond to and provide constructive critique
- Desire to collaborate to create an immersive game world
- A great work ethic to work hard, play hard and inspire colleagues with quality
- Show initiative and be proactive to get the best from our powerful Cobra engine
- Good communication skills both verbal and written.
QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE
- Solid skills in hard surface modelling, preferably in Maya
- Strong grasp of real-world machinery, weapon function engineering; the kind of knowledge which produces authentic science-fiction hardware
- Great understanding of proportion, scale, perspective, lighting and colour
- Experience with PBR and a real-time engines
- Experience in working on a game team either commercially or on a completed mod with multiple releases
- Proven skills in photorealistic surfacing using tools such as Substance or Quixel
- A keen eye for spinning narrative and life into the environment
- Thorough knowledge of and experience with Adobe Photoshop
- Strong traditional art skills.
- Proven observational skills. You won’t be able to tell good lies if you don’t understand the world around you
- Modelling skills outside of hard-surface; versatility is valuable
- Experience in organic modelling using ZBrush, Mudbox or similar
- An appreciation of stylised modelling and surfacing
- Contemporary mechanical, vehicle or product design training.