Sumo Digital is one of the UK's most prolific and secure independent game developers with a talented team of over 290 staff currently based in Sheffield. A second UK studio in Nottingham opened in March 2016 and has rapidly grown to a 50+ strong team with many fantastic new opportunities on the horizon.
Since our inception in 2003 we have had a string of successful titles across all gaming platforms for partners that include Microsoft, SEGA, Sony, Disney and many more.
Our most recent successes include Forza Horizon 2 (Xbox 360), LittleBigPlanet 3 (PlayStation 4, and PlayStation 3), Disney Infinity 3.0 Toy Box Speedway (multi-platform) , and our first self-published title Snake Pass (multi-platform) . We are also incredibly proud to be working on the highly anticipated Crackdown 3 (Xbox One), Dead Island 2 (multi-platform ) and Project Nova plus several other exciting but currently unannounced projects.
2017 is Sumo's biggest and best year ever. Come and be part of it.
Role and Purpose
We are looking for enthusiastic and experienced programmers to join the Sumo Nottingham and Sumo Sheffield teams to assist with development of existing console and Windows based projects.
We are always hiring talented programmers, and welcome applications across all specialist areas.
Please specify in your application if you have a preferred location, otherwise you will be considered for opportunities across both studios.
- Working with project managers and other leads to define and complete programming tasks
- Writing high quality source code
- Working with designers to implement AI element to the designers' specifications
- Liaising with Quality Assurance to fix bugs
- Maintaining stability of development environment for the entire development team
Skills Experience and Qualifications
- Strong C++ programming skills
- Previous experience developing AI controlled characters acting within a 3D environment
- Good 3D programming and mathematics skills
- Thorough understanding of the game production process
- Excellent communication skills
- Worked on at least one released game and/or experience with at least one current generation engine (UE4, CryEngine, Source, Unity etc.)
- Experience of source control systems
- Contributing to shipped titles on games console
- Knowledge of the requirements placed on gameplay code by a multiplayer networked game
- Experience with Playstation, Xbox, Nintendo, console programming
- Experience of working to manufacturers' guidelines for the relevant platforms
What We Offer
We offer a super benefits package including generous holidays, flexitime and excellent employee benefits. Further perks include our legendary annual Sumo Big Day Out, plus epic Christmas parties, money on your birthday, on site free gym and free fruit for everyone! Our new, regular studio Game Jams are a highlight - staff spend a full day developing and pitching their own game ideas for possible development by Sumo.
Our environment is relaxed, friendly and built upon the basis of every team member having the opportunity to shine and have a realisable input into the games we create. We are a very happy ship with lots of incredibly nice people that partake in shared interest groups, lunchtime clubs, charity fundraising events and lots of socialising.
We are proud to be located in Nottingham, just ten minutes' walk from Nottingham train station and with good access to the north and the south via the M1. Nottingham itself benefits from a wealth of attractions, including a diverse range of bars and restaurants, several art galleries and a wide variety of cultural events. Highlights include the Theatre Royal, the Nottingham Contemporary art gallery, the National Video Game Arcade and the Motorpoint Arena Nottingham. The annual GameCity festival takes place throughout Nottingham city centre, celebrating the culture, innovation and creativity of video games and their development.
We are proud to be located in Sheffield, just off J34 of the M1 offering easy road and rail access from Leeds, Manchester and the Midlands. Sheffield itself enjoys wealth of facilities including world class sporting facilities, stunning theatres and galleries, shopping, restaurants and incredible parks and green spaces - all on the doorstep of the beautiful Peak District National Park. We love it here.
We offer competitive salaries, excellent benefits and a generous holiday entitlement. The environment itself is relaxed, friendly and built upon the basis of every team member having ownership and a realisable input into the games we create.
Please apply via the Apply Now button or click Email this job to a friend to refer someone you know.
For a confidential chat about this role please call our Recruitment Team on +44 (0)114 2426766.