Reflections, a Ubisoft studio is a video games development company based in Newcastle, UK. Collaborating with Ubisoft's international creative teams on projects such as Assassins Creed Syndicate, Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon, online open-world RPG "The Division" as well as the adventure platformer "Grow Home". With a host of other top titles to our name such as open-world action adventure 'Watch Dogs', MMO racer "The Crew" and the latest instalment in the world's No.1 dance game franchise 'Just Dance 2015' Reflections' objective is to combine technical expertise, flair and innovation to create and contribute to successful and memorable games. We are looking for Pioneering, Obsessive Humans to cement its reputation as an industry leading studio within the UK and the world.
Working with the animation team to implement and improve existing player behaviours, including animation, control, camera, and network synchronisation.
• Collaborate with game designers and animators to discuss constraints and set out the technical possibilities for the requested features;
• Ensure clear and structured programming, keeping performance, memory, maintenance, compatibility and portability requirements in mind;
• Suggest improvements whenever necessary by designing and implementing new systems;
• Validate and verify whether the existing and newly developed systems meet project intentions and are coherent with existing code;
• Optimize whenever necessary;
• Document the work to transfer knowledge and enable users (other programmers and team members from other working units) to understand how to use the new animation systems and features;
• Carry out all other related tasks;
• Support the Lead Programmer in any ad hoc tasks and duties.
Skills and Knowledge
• Passionate about playing and making games;
• Knowledge of character animation, IK, procedural or physics based animation;
• Have a keen eye for detail and able to produce excellent gameplay flow, feel, and visuals;
• Knowledge of network synchronisation;
• Excellent C/C++ programming skills, mathematics and physics, with a good knowledge of object oriented development;
• Knowledge of common algorithms, data structures and patterns, and the ability to apply them to problems while keeping constraints and performance in mind;
• Able to plan and estimate their own tasks and ensure timely delivery of work;
• Self-motivated and pro-active with a strong work ethic;
• Excellent English oral and written communication skills;
• Ability to analyse unfamiliar code of reasonable complexity to understand and extend the functionality of an existing module;
• Knowledge of different software development methods such as Test Driven Development, Unit Testing, Agile etc.;
• Ability to debug defects of reasonable complexity.
• Experience in the construction or maintenance of animation systems and associated tools
• Experience pf physics driven animation, ragdolls and IK
• Massively multiplayer game development experience
• 3 years commercial software development experience with significant involvement in 1 published game in a gameplay/animation programming capacity;
• Some experience with a modern animation engine;
• Bachelor's degree in a relevant subject (Mathematics, Physics, Computer Science) or equivalent industry experience.
Salary: Competitive + Relocation
Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, U.K
Opening date: 17th November 2017
Closing date for applications: 16th December 2017
Reflections reserves the right to close this advert earlier than the closing date indicated should we feel we have received sufficient applications.