Senior Gameplay Engineer - Gears of War - The Coalition
SENIOR GAMEPLAY ENGINEER
We have a great opportunity on the Gears of War franchise for a Senior Gameplay Engineer. This opportunity is best suited for an experienced engineer with a background working closely with Design to create outstanding gameplay experiences in a core AAA game.
The role will be to create and maintain systemic gameplay features that are needed for our game. You will partner with our designers and artists to bring the game vision to life. Our ideal candidate will be a committed gamer with a passion for delivering new experiences to the core consumer. Applicants must also be able to remain positive and work effectively and efficiently in a diverse team-oriented environment.
- Design, implement, and maintain a robust series of gameplay systems
- Identify opportunities for improved efficiency and/or ease of use in existing systems
- Provide engineering support to the gameplay designers and other content creators
- Analyze performance and memory issues in core gameplay systems (animation, AI, physics)
- Provide instruction (in person and documented) on gameplay tech usage.
- Must have 5-7+ years of experience in video games.
- University level degree in computer science or a related field.
- Strong C++ skills
- Very strong math skills
- Deep experience in physics, AI and/or Animation
- Strong knowledge of the math, data structures and algorithms commonly used in gameplay
- Excellent communication skills and comfortable working closely with designers and content developers.
- Possess a client focused mindset
- Flexibility and willingness to jump across multiple systems as required.
- Experience with multiplayer and/or co-op gameplay development is a plus.
- Unreal engine experience is a plus
- Strong debugging and optimization skills in a multi-threaded environment.
- Experience developing tools and modules for game development.
- In-depth understanding of game development process and workflows.
- A desire to provide the best experience to our content creators and our players.
- Knowledge of other scripting languages (Lua, Python, MEL) is desirable.
- An awareness of software development best practices, particularly for design, coding, and testing.
ABOUT THE COALITION:
The Coalition are a Microsoft 1st party development studio located in downtown Vancouver, Canada. We are the official home of the Gears of War franchise and our objective is to forge the future of the IP and push the limits of Microsoft's entertainment platforms and devices. Our team is comprised of deep creative and technical expertise from our industry's top shooter and action titles, working cohesively to delight our fan base and shatter expectations of what is possible.