Sumo Digital is one of the UK's most prolific and secure independent game developers with a talented team of over 280 staff currently based in Sheffield. A second UK studio in Nottingham opened in March 2016 and has rapidly grown to a 45 strong team with many fantastic new opportunities on the horizon.
Since our inception in 2003 we have had a string of successful titles across all gaming platforms for partners that include Microsoft, SEGA, Sony, Disney and many more.
Our most recent successes include Forza Horizon 2 (Xbox 360), LittleBigPlanet 3 (PlayStation 4, and PlayStation 3) , Disney Infinity 3.0 Toy Box Speedway (multi-platform) , and our first self-published title Snake Pass (multi-platform). We are also incredibly proud to be working on the highly anticipated Crackdown 3 (Xbox One) and Dead Island 2 (multi-platform) plus several other exciting but yet unannounced projects.
2017 will be Sumo's biggest and best year ever. Come and be part of it.
Role and Purpose
Sumo is looking for a highly creative Lead Concept Artist to join an experienced and passionate team in delivering an exciting AAA title. Focussing on driving a concept team through example this is an opportunity for those who want to leave their mark on an already established, multi-million selling franchise. This position is employed full-time and 100 % based in-house at our Sheffield studio in the UK. Remote or part remote working applications will not be considered.
• The role is a mixture of circa 50% hands-on art and 50% managing and driving the concept team.
• Responsible for creating and iterating on ideas whilst maintaining the artistic vision of the Art Director.
• Maintaining the quality and consistency of the concept department.
• Ensuring that briefs are delivered to spec and on time working with production to maintain the concept schedule.
Skills Experience and Qualifications
• Able to work in multiple artistic styles.
• Fast concept and iteration of ideas across all aspects of the game.
• High levels of aesthetic ability, judgement and eye for detail.
• Excellent composition, lighting and colour theory skills/appreciation.
• Excellent communication skills.
• Ideas generation and iteration.
• High quality illustrative pieces.
• Demonstrable talent across all concept disciplines in particular figurative and environment work.
Desirable skills and experience:
• Shipped at least one AAA title.
• 3d modelling and rendering.
What We Offer
We offer a super benefits package including generous holidays, flexitime and excellent employee benefits. Further perks include our legendary annual Sumo Big Day Out, plus epic Christmas parties, money on your birthday, on site free gym and free fruit for everyone! Our new, regular studio Game Jams are a highlight - staff spend a full day developing and pitching their own game ideas for possible development by Sumo.
Our environment is relaxed, friendly and built upon the basis of every team member having the opportunity to shine and have a realisable input into the games we create. We are a very happy ship with lots of incredibly nice people that partake in shared interest groups, lunchtime clubs, charity fundraising events and lots of socialising.
We are proud to be located in Sheffield, just off J34 of the M1 offering easy road and rail access from Leeds, Manchester and the Midlands. Sheffield itself enjoys wealth of facilities including world class sporting facilities, stunning theatres and galleries, shopping, restaurants and incredible parks and green spaces - all on the doorstep of the beautiful Peak District National Park. We love it here.
Please apply via the Apply Now button or click Email this job to a friend to refer someone you know.
For a confidential chat about this role please call our Recruitment Team on +44 (0)114 2426766.