Demonware is responsible for developing and running the services and infrastructure for some of the largest entertainment franchises in the world. We work side by side with studios at Activision (such as Treyarch, Infinity Ward & Sledgehammer Games) to make radical game designs a reality at massive scale. We then ensure that those features keep running 24/7 for years after launch.
The Products department is responsible for the product suite that all Activision games are built upon. We work closely with game teams at Demonware and the studios to make sure they have the features they need for their games, while maintaining a long-term vision for the features that will enable Activision's games to succeed into the future.
The Loot team is responsible for our products that concern inventory, micro-transactions and in-game rewards. We are looking for an experienced SRE who can provide input into all areas of service development: working directly with other engineers to ensure service design is reliable and scalable; supporting services in production by being part of an on-call rota, debugging problems at scale, and automating to prevent issues happening in the first place.
This position offers the opportunity to work as part of a cross-functional team managing our inventory, microtransaction and rewards systems, working with other excellent dev and ops engineers on highly challenging problems. It is a full-time position at Demonware's office in Vancouver.
• Create scalable services.
• Be a part of a full-service and cross disciplinary development team, participating in full development process, including design, capacity planning, and production deployments.
• Contribute improvements to the availability, scalability, latency, and efficiency of Demonware's services.
• Support scalable services
• Be a part of our on-call rotation, which is a responsibility you'll share with your engineering team and other Demonware engineers around the world.
• Debug problems at scale for our mission critical services, and help our platform and service teams to implement last fixes to recurring issues.
• Contribute to our automation tools and platform to more efficiently detect, address, and prevent problems from recurring.
• Influencing our technology
• Be an expert customer of our platform teams, helping them to shape our architecture. Influence and create new designs, architectures, standards, and methods for large-scale distributed systems.
• Influence a culture of service ownership at Demonware. Engage in training and mentoring to help develop other engineers with this mindset.
• 5 + years relevant work experience, including in a high-volume or critical production service environment
• Experience working at scale - hundreds or thousands of servers
• Automation / scripting skills and a desire to automate all the things
• Comfortable with at least one scripting language, e.g. Python or Ruby
• Experience with at least one major database such as MySQL or Cassandra
• Solid understanding of fundamental technologies, e.g. TCP/IP, Linux/Unix internals
• Demonstrable capacity for an investigative approach and keen to learn new technologies
• Demonstrated excellence in communicating within and across teams
• Background in Software Engineering is advantageous
• Experience with configuration management systems, e.g. Puppet, Chef, CFEngine
• Experience in monitoring and metrics systems, e.g. Nagios, Zabbix, Graphite, Cacti
• Experience working with public cloud providers and cloud technologies
• Excellent salary (DOE) w/ annual salary and performance review
• Medical insurance, pension contributions, generous annual bonus
• Flexible working practices
• 25+ days vacation allowance