OUTSOURCE LEAD ARTIST
PURPOSE OF THE ROLE
The Outsource Lead Artist is primarily responsible overseeing the visual direction of art created by vendors outside the studio and ensuring that it meets the quality and aesthetic goals set by the project leads within Frontier Developments. You will be at the forefront of building and managing a tailored art group dedicated to getting the best content in our games from external teams.
The Outsource Lead Artist will work closely with the internal team Producers and Art Directors to ensure the quality and integrity of the product meets or exceeds product vision, and pushes the boundaries of competitive visual quality.
- Track and provide specific visual feedback on all assets throughout the stages of production to project completion
- Collaborate with internal team Producers and Art Directors to understand and communicate the visual goals of the project externally and maintain consistency of this vision with the outside vendors and team
- Support the Outsource Manager to keep studio executive staff, the publisher and/or marketing staff up to speed on product status through the preparation and presentation of appropriate project materials (e.g. milestone updates, demos, etc)
- Facilitate communication between Art teams to realise overall goals and deliver a successful project on time
- Prepare all approved assets with internal materials and shaders, ensuring naming conventions are correct, and checking assets into source/version control software
- Notify all artists on the team when approved assets are in and ready for use
- Collaborating with all disciplines to brainstorm technical ideas and solutions
- Contribute to the art production pipeline between internal and external productions and enforce the process throughout the project cycle
- Work with Producers to adjust project goals as necessary to adapt to changing situations in order to meet established schedules
- Identify potential problems and risks in the art pipeline and working with the Producers to prevent or mitigate them
- Assist with staffing plans, project post-mortems and continued development of external relationships
- Vetting external parties for quality and making recommendations on choices of viable external vendors.
- Understands game production creation process and methodology and has been through numerous cycles in a leadership capacity
- Ability to understand and work within the limitations of previous and next-gen console specifications with proven experience for optimizing towards specific platform constraints
- Demonstrates an understanding of storytelling, craftsmanship and continuity
- Effective communication with peers, art staff, and senior management
- Ability to balance impacts of deadlines and resources with style and quality requirements of a title's art direction
- Demonstrated ability to solve complex problems efficiently
- Ability to maintain pacing in situations of intense schedules
- Strong time management skills with a proven ability to focus on priorities, handle multiple tasks and meet deadlines
- Ability to work cooperatively on a team spanning artists, programmers and designers, and to compromise when necessary to achieve overall best results
- Ability to communicate effectively with executive level staff on a broad range of topics: technical, business and creative.
QUALIFICATIONS, SKILLS & EXPERIENCE
- Previous experience with outsourcing, managing external vendors or teams, and directing others through written communication
- Significant previous game industry experience
- Proven track record of working on AAA quality titles
- Shipped a minimum of 2 video game titles preferably at a Lead Level
- Experience working with external development partners
- Proven next gen console experience.