Sumo Digital is one of the UK's most prolific and secure independent game developers with a talented team of over 280 staff currently based in Sheffield. A second UK studio in Nottingham opened in 2016 and now has many fantastic new opportunities on the horizon.
Since our inception in 2003 we have had a string of successful titles across all gaming platforms for partners that include Microsoft, SEGA, Sony, Disney and many more.
Our most recent successes include Forza Horizon 2 (Xbox 360), LittleBigPlanet 3 (PlayStation 4, and PlayStation 3), Disney Infinity 3.0 Toy Box Speedway (multi-platform) , and our first self-published title Snake Pass (multi-platform) . We are also incredibly proud to be working on the highly anticipated Crackdown 3 (Xbox One) and Dead Island 2 (multi-platform ) plus several other exciting but currently unannounced projects.
Opening in March 2016, Sumo Digital's Nottingham studio has grown steadily, featuring highly experienced industry talent covering a wide range of disciplines. The studio's first full project is now well under way, with many more exciting opportunities also ahead.
2017 will be Sumo's biggest and best year ever. Come and be part of it.
Role and Purpose
Sumo Nottingham are looking for talented, graduate 3D artists to work on the studio's current projects. This is an exciting opportunity for graduate artists to work with industry experts and develop their skills further whilst contributing towards a wide range of exciting games. The position would suit a recent graduate looking for an entry level position. We are expecting the term to run from October 2017 to July 2018 initially.
- Working closely with the Art Director and other artists you will be required to create quality 3D models and environments.
- To do this, will need to be able to:
- Produce excellent high polygon models and bake them to low polygon meshes adhering to specified budgets.
- Create well laid out, high quality textures for a PBR pipeline.
- Follow concept art and tailor your work to follow specific art styles.
- Dress, light and optimize exciting and atmospheric environments.
- Have good organisational skills and to be able to produce work files that are easily used by others.
- Collaborate with the concept team by highlighting and providing solutions to any design problems before the modelling stage.
- Have a professional and collaborative attitude. You must be able to work as part of a team.
Skills Experience and Qualifications
- Excellent knowledge or at least one major 3D package (ie Max or Maya).
- A good understanding of the whole 3D asset creation process:
- High polygon to low polygon baking for the creation of normal maps.
- UV unwrapping and layout
- Creating textures for PBR Shaders
- Optimization and technical constraints.
- Good knowledge of Substance Painter and designer.
- Knowledge of Zbrush or Mudbox would be advantageous.
- Experience with a game engine (UE4 preferred)
- Hard surface modelling experience. Ideally of a sci-fi nature.
- An interest in playing games, first person games in particular.
- Experience in creating a game project and working within a team.
We would love to see the following when you submit your portfolio:
- At least one piece should be accompanied by a technical breakdown which includes the following information:
- Information about the piece, inspiration, time spent, poly count.
- The high polygon model and it's low polygon counterpart
- UV layout and texture pages
- Piece is embedded in a 3D viewer (marmoset viewer for example)
- Substance graphs if possible
- Examples of other skills that you wish to share and you feel are relevant to your application - environment lighting, life drawing, pixel art, painting etc.
- Only submit your best work " wow us"!
What We Offer
We offer competitive salaries, excellent benefits and a generous holiday entitlement. The environment itself is relaxed, friendly and built upon the basis of every team member having ownership and a realisable input into the games we create.
We are proud to be located in Nottingham, just ten minutes' walk from Nottingham train station and with good access to the north and the south via the M1. Nottingham itself benefits from a wealth of attractions, including a diverse range of bars and restaurants, several art galleries and a wide variety of cultural events.
Highlights include the Theatre Royal, the Nottingham Contemporary art gallery, the National Video Game Arcade and the Motorpoint Arena Nottingham. The annual GameCity festival takes place throughout Nottingham city centre, celebrating the culture, innovation and creativity of video games and their development.
Please apply via the Apply Now button or click Email this job to a friend to refer someone you know.
For a confidential chat about this role please call our Recruitment Team on +44 (0)114 2426766.