Software Engineer - Systems / Rendering (110493)
Requisition ID 110493 - Posted 06/23/2017 - Regular - EA Studios - Criterion Games - Software Development - Guildford - Surrey - United Kingdom - Europe
Job Description Print Preview
Email Job to Friend
Return to List
We’re Criterion, and we love making games!
Over the last fifteen years we’ve entertained millions of players around the world with our award-winning games. From Burnout & Need for Speed to the critically acclaimed VR mission for Star Wars Battlefront, Criterion have always pushed the boundaries, delivering through technical excellence, world-class game feel and AAA audiovisual quality.
We place enormous value on creative collaboration, fresh ideas, and unique perspectives. Our studio is a healthy mix of industry veterans and newcomers working together to inspire, support, and educate one another. We encourage free experimentation, innovation and exploration very explicitly with regular “off-the-grid” time.
Criterion don’t put people in boxes. Folks here have freedom to navigate their careers the way their hearts take them – we’re not big on labels. Our features are built by teams who choose to work together, actively encouraging cross-discipline crack squads to solve the toughest problems.
The working day has space carved out for everyone to play games – by themselves or together, be they tabletop or videogames, we love them all. Learning from the widest range of experiences makes our own games better.
Over the years, we’ve learned that crunching is flat-out stupid, so we don’t do it.
The Challenge Ahead:
Criterion are embarking on their most ambitious projects to date, partnering with DICE on Star Wars Battlefront II and pushing the boundaries with our own brand new IP.
We are growing our team with fresh, talented people who can help us take a huge leap forwards.
We’re looking for a Software Engineer with experience in and a passion for Systems and/or Rendering to join our team of Core Tech engineers. Recently they’ve been doing things like bringing AAA quality to VR on Star Wars Battlefront.
Modern Criterion projects are all built on the world-class Frostbite engine that powers most of EA’s HD titles today - from Battlefield & Battlefront to FIFA and Need for Speed. There’s a healthy community around the engine within the company, with frequent collaborations between the game teams and the Frostbite team. Because so many of EA’s games share the same engine, it’s very common for features written for one game to migrate to others.
What a Systems/Rendering Engineer does at Criterion:
• Designing, extending, and implementing systems in the Frostbite engine to help build our games
• Collaborates with folks in Criterion and with the wider Frostbite community around the world
• Implements and maintains reliable and efficient code
• Drives change and possibilities with amazing innovation
A Systems/Rendering Engineer will need:
• BSc in Computer Science or related discipline, or equivalent industry experience
• Excellent C++ programming skills - C# and Python a plus
• Experience designing larger-scale systems for games - in areas such as rendering, multi-processor management, or similar
• Attention to detail - you’ll be responsible for predicting, understanding, and improving performance, memory and resource impacts of your systems on the rest of the game
• A passion for games, and a desire to create high-quality AAA titles that millions of people want to play
• Experience shipping games on a AAA engine is a big plus
• Experience of console development a big plus
What’s in it for you? Glad you asked!
Naturally, we offer competitive compensation packages.
More importantly, because we love working with world-class creators, we maintain a culture that thrives on creative freedom and autonomy.
We thought you might also want to know:
We’re based in the lovely town of Guildford – 35 minutes from central London.
Our office is a short walk from the train station and town centre.