Development Director - Frostbite (112711)
Requisition ID 112711 - Posted 07/11/2017 - Regular - CTO - Frostbite - Development Director - Guildford - Surrey - United Kingdom - Europe
We are EA
At EA, we have one simple vision: become the world’s greatest games company. We are a community of artists, storytellers, technologists and innovators working in one of the most dynamic industries today. We’re building a company that thinks about player experience at every step. We are transforming for a digital future and work as one team. We take risks and we dream big. And together, we are changing the way millions play every day.
The Challenge Ahead
Frostbite in Guildford is a growing team that plays a critical role in the engine that EA has developed to empower game makers in the company. We focus on building a world-class cross-platform physics engine and features that directly drive innovation in EA’s franchises such as FIFA, Dragon Age and Battlefield. This is developed using an internal Open Source model that invites the company’s best engineers to contribute.
We are looking for someone to take a role as a project management lead in the studio, alongside our other Development Directors & Technical Leads. Working together with the other project leaders, you will help build, track and report on plans for the team. We will also be looking for you to provide supportive and motivating staff management including ensuring feedback on performance is effectively delivered and career progress is encouraged.
The role will include opportunities to grow your experience and skills as well as work with other Frostbite/EA locations and work directly with studios around the globe.
For candidates with the right mix of project and people management experience and leadership, Frostbite provides a stimulating and fun work environment where you can tackle really exciting and rewarding projects that make real impact on the games enjoyed by millions.
You will be passionate about all the following:
- Delight our customers with innovation delivered without surprises
- Establishing and implementing the right development process to suit the challenge
- Establishing and maintaining systems that are light but effective for our day-2-day needs across a team based largely in the UK, with members across Europe
- Metrics, scope & capacity management and maintaining a credible plan including risk management.
- Strong negotiation, mediation and conflict resolution skills.
- Excellent communication skills (written and oral) across all levels of an organization, especially in a distributed team from different time zones.
- Ability to own and drive a meeting with multiple stakeholders and effectively attain the meeting’s purpose.
- Provides inspiring leadership by proactively meeting with employees individually to monitor and prevent potential problems or concerns; reward and recognize performance and provides coaching on performance related issues; monitors workload and recognizes extra effort with praise and discretionary rewards;
- Participates in development of retention programs; works with team members to develop and pursue a career action plan and identifies potential growth opportunities; provides team members with information on self-study, courses and training opportunities; participates in employees’ performance evaluations; participate in the recruitment of new team members; reviewing resumes, interviewing and assessing candidates;
What does a Development Director do at Frostbite
As a DD, you will set your own priorities in collaboration with your fellow team leaders but a typical week could include:
- Ensure a smooth and effective meshing of cross Frostbite and EA processes and effective and productive local team processes through meetings and monitoring.
- Coaching teams on project management processes: selecting most suitable process and most valuable metrics, communicating plans, challenges and tracking to the team.
- Helping establish quality goals and metrics and executing against them
- Working with partners such as our QA team to ensure smooth delivery.
- Communicate across the organisation (US & Europe) which will require meetings on some days at 5pm UK time, sometimes later.
- Using Excel (macros/pivot tables/graphing) and JIRA/Confluence to develop and communicate plans and useful data.
- Ensuring the teams are healthy and happy.
- Meeting with your direct reports to help them understand their performance and develop their career within the team and building on the career tools in EA.
Experience and knowledge required:
We are looking for someone who understands the challenges of making complex software products with multi-disciplined, distributed teams and the inherent elements of uncertainty and risk that accompany this. Preparedness for this role is rooted in:
- Extensive experience of software development; preferably from the engine or middleware industry, Project Management and leadership; line management
- Ability to manage and support multiple small project teams over development cycles of varied periods of time
- Solid understanding of project management practices and process including Scrum and Kanban and scaling these effectively within a large product
- Experience working with remote contributors and customers to deliver on projects.
Please note that the nature of our business may require that certain aspects of this job description may be subject to modification and change during the individual's period of employment.
Frostbite UK is based in EA’s UK office in the centre of Guildford. It is a dynamic and creative place to work with on-site facilities such as restaurant, coffee bars and a gym. There is easy access to the main station, town centre and other amenities. We maintain a team-focussed and collaborative working environment and put a great value on our employees work life balance.
Our creative work ethos rewards new and different ideas. It's an environment that attracts brilliant talent from around the globe. No matter which of our studio locations you join, you'll feel the energy and support of EA's global brand, while thriving on our world-class campuses. At EA, the excitement you feel throughout each workday is made possible by a culture that inspires you to do the best work of your career.