Sumo Digital is one of the UK's most prolific and secure independent game developers with a talented team of over 280 staff currently based in Sheffield. A second UK studio in Nottingham opened in 2016 and now has many fantastic new opportunities on the horizon.
Since our inception in 2003 we have had a string of successful titles across all gaming platforms for partners that include Microsoft, SEGA, Sony, Disney and many more.
Our most recent successes include Forza Horizon 2 (Xbox 360), LittleBigPlanet 3 (PlayStation 4, and PlayStation 3), Disney Infinity 3.0 Toy Box Speedway (multi-platform) , and our first self-published title Snake Pass (multi-platform) . We are also incredibly proud to be working on the highly anticipated Crackdown 3 (Xbox One) and Dead Island 2 (multi-platform ) plus several other exciting but currently unannounced projects.
Opening in March 2016, Sumo Digital's Nottingham studio has grown steadily, featuring highly experienced industry talent covering a wide range of disciplines. The studio's first full project is now well under way, with many more exciting opportunities also ahead.
2017 will be Sumo's biggest and best year ever. Come and be part of it.
Role and Purpose
Sumo Nottingham are looking for a talented and experienced animator, capable of creating dynamic and compelling character animation (including hand-keyed and/or motion capture based) as required by the project
We looking for someone who understands game animation production and its idiosyncrasies. That person could be either an established existing Senior or someone who is looking to advance their career and transition into that role. Sumo can make that happen.
The ideal candidate will enjoy being involved in a friendly hard working environment, able to communicate well with team members as well as the other development disciplines.
Reporting to the Lead animator but be able to take responsibility for managing their work, and the work of any team members working alongside them.
• Production of high quality hand keyed animation.
• Work with and understand Motion Capture data
• Ability to work in a variety of styles as the project demands.
• Exhibit a strong understanding of the fundamental principles of animation
• Perform research and reference gathering to acquire the necessary knowledge to perform assigned animation tasks
• Meet production schedules and deadlines
• Assist in Lead responsibilities such as mentoring, scheduling and R&D into new features
• Contribute to the conceptualization of character behaviours and abilities
• Provide detailed input during the character creation process, from concept to modeling to final rigging, identifying character performance and functionality requirements.
• Provide mentoring for team members
• Communicate effectively with peers
• Demonstrate an understanding of the pipelines and procedures within the project/company
• Able to direct MoCap talent during character rehearsal and motion capture shoots
Skills Experience and Qualifications
• Thorough understanding of animation fundamentals for human and non-human characters
• Understanding of Character creation process from concept, to modelling and final rigging
• Demonstrable experience in creating animation of a high standard while maintaining visual and functional specifications for game mechanics.
• Excellent written and oral communication skills
• Industry Experience: 5 -10+ years AAA game's experience.
• Excellent knowledge or at least one major 3d package (ie Maya or 3DSMax).
• Basic knowledge of Maya and Max essential.
• Good understanding of the game development process.
• Game engine experience (UE4 among others).
• Interest in playing games and current technical trends in the medium.
• If you have worked on first person games as an animator would be beneficial but not essential.
• If you have experience in using MoCap hardware and software although not essential
Sumo has a wide variety of projects in development and for an Animator that means working on something that could vary in style from cartoony to realistic and any point in between. We require someone who is flexible in both talent and mindset
What We Offer
We offer competitive salaries, excellent benefits and a generous holiday entitlement. The environment itself is relaxed, friendly and built upon the basis of every team member having ownership and a realisable input into the games we create.
We are proud to be located in Nottingham, just ten minutes' walk from Nottingham train station and with good access to the north and the south via the M1. Nottingham itself benefits from a wealth of attractions, including a diverse range of bars and restaurants, several art galleries and a wide variety of cultural events.
Highlights include the Theatre Royal, the Nottingham Contemporary art gallery, the National Video Game Arcade and the Motorpoint Arena Nottingham. The annual GameCity festival takes place throughout Nottingham city centre, celebrating the culture, innovation and creativity of video games and their development.
Please apply via the Apply Now button or click Email this job to a friend to refer someone you know.
For a confidential chat about this role please call our Recruitment Team on +44 (0)114 2426766.