Sumo Digital is one of the UK's most prolific and secure independent game developers with a talented team of over 280 staff currently based in Sheffield. A second UK studio in Nottingham opened in 2016 and now has many fantastic new opportunities on the horizon.
Since our inception in 2003 we have had a string of successful titles across all gaming platforms for partners that include Microsoft, SEGA, Sony, Disney and many more.
Our most recent successes include Forza Horizon 2 (Xbox 360), LittleBigPlanet 3 (PlayStation 4, and PlayStation 3), Disney Infinity 3.0 Toy Box Speedway (multi-platform) , and our first self-published title Snake Pass (multi-platform) . We are also incredibly proud to be working on the highly anticipated Crackdown 3 (Xbox One) and Dead Island 2 (multi-platform ) plus several other exciting but currently unannounced projects.
Opening in March 2016, Sumo Digital's Nottingham studio has grown steadily, featuring highly experienced industry talent covering a wide range of disciplines. The studio's first full project is now well under way, with many more exciting opportunities also ahead.
2017 will be Sumo's biggest and best year ever. Come and be part of it.
Role and Purpose
Sumo Nottingham are looking for a talented animator, capable of creating dynamic and compelling character animation (including hand-keyed and/or motion capture based) as required by the project.
The ideal candidate will enjoy being involved in a friendly hard working environment, able to communicate well with team members as well as the other development disciplines.
- Develop production quality animation assets; key framed or motion capture in a variety of styles ranging from realistic to fantasy
- Exhibit a strong understanding of the fundamental principles of animation
- Perform research and reference gathering to acquire the necessary knowledge to perform assigned animation tasks
- Meet production schedules and deadlines
- Contribute to the conceptualization of character behaviours and abilities
- Demonstrate an enthusiastic and constructive response to direction and criticism
- Communicate effectively with team members
Skills Experience and Qualifications
- Thorough understanding of animation fundamentals for human and non-human characters
- Understanding of Character creation process from concept, to modelling and final rigging
- Demonstrable experience in creating animation of a high standard while maintaining visual and functional specifications for game mechanics.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Excellent knowledge or at least one major 3d package (ie Maya or 3DSMax).
- Basic knowledge of Maya and Max essential.
- Basic understanding of the game development process
Of interest but not essential:
- Game engine experience (UE4 among others).
- Interest in playing games and current technical trends in the medium.
- Character modelling, texturing and rigging skills
- Traditional Animation Background
- Traditional Art Background
- Technical aptitude and experience
- Character conceptualization skills
Sumo has a wide variety of projects in development and for an Animator that means working on something that could vary in style from cartoony to realistic and any point in between. We require someone who is flexible in both talent and mindset.
What We Offer
We offer competitive salaries, excellent benefits and a generous holiday entitlement. The environment itself is relaxed, friendly and built upon the basis of every team member having ownership and a realisable input into the games we create.
We are proud to be located in Nottingham, just ten minutes' walk from Nottingham train station and with good access to the north and the south via the M1. Nottingham itself benefits from a wealth of attractions, including a diverse range of bars and restaurants, several art galleries and a wide variety of cultural events.
Highlights include the Theatre Royal, the Nottingham Contemporary art gallery, the National Video Game Arcade and the Motorpoint Arena Nottingham. The annual GameCity festival takes place throughout Nottingham city centre, celebrating the culture, innovation and creativity of video games and their development.
Please apply via the Apply Now button or click Email this job to a friend to refer someone you know.
For a confidential chat about this role please call our Recruitment Team on +44 (0)114 2426766.