About Dirty Bomb & Splash Damage
Dirty Bomb takes first person shooters back to their roots in a fast-paced team game that will challenge even the most competent players. It's the latest evolution in the multiplayer gameplay that Splash Damage has become known for, and is a product of our lifelong passion for hardcore multiplayer gaming!
Splash Damage is an independently-owned studio just outside of the CDA Containment Wall around London, and we're all about crafting engaging multiplayer experiences. We're now expanding our Dirty Bomb team to take it to another level, and are looking for key hires to help us make it happen.
As a full-time on-site writer for Dirty Bomb you'll be closely involved with crafting the personality, backstory and voices of our Mercs, as well as helping us build the universe surrounding our evacuated near-future London playground through the game and its events.
You'll be working closely with the studio lead writer, project leads, marketing and brand teams to create and flesh out engaging narratives for players in and out of the game, be it through written copy or actor VO.
This is an applied writing job, not a pure writing job. You'll maintain design and lore documentation, be responsible for creating and maintaining VO spreadsheets, and work closely with other disciplines. You'll also need to take direction and be prepared to learn and adapt to game development pipelines and processes. Whatever your previous skills and experience, Splash Damage offers mentorship and training opportunities.
This is a full-time staff writer position, not a bid for freelance pitches. If you can't move to work full-time in Bromley, UK, please don't apply. Yes, it's a writer for a multiplayer shooter, but we are actively looking for people of any race or gender. You do need to know shooters, though. And be prepared to write combat VO barks. A lot of them.
All applicants must submit a writing test, detailed at the foot of this page, for their application to be considered.
Essential Skills and Experience
- Dependable, responsible and committed, with a passion for making and playing games
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- In-depth knowledge of the current shooter landscape, Splash Damage's previous games in general, and Dirty Bomb in particular
- The ability to write concept briefs for and work closely with all other disciplines, particularly artists, gameplay programmers and audio
- The ability to work both collaboratively with other disciplines and independently without close supervision
- The ability to create text and dialogue that fits a game's world and tone
- The ability to take direction, and rapidly absorb and act on stakeholder feedback
- Skilled and experienced in writing to a high standard in all forms including but not limited to concept, research and design documents, blog posts, presentations, internal and external update and marketing videos, in-game tooltips, text logs, audio logs, VO barks, scripted scenes, storyboards, and cinematic scripts
- An understanding of the deep and varied aspects of interactive narrative
- The ability to create game worlds, characters, items, dialogue, backstory and lore to support our IP
- The ability to rapidly and thoroughly researching potential game settings, and technologies, historical events and current cultural issues, writing clear guidelines for other developers
Preferred Skills and Experience
- At least 2 years of industry experience and 1 shipped AAA current gen or last gen (PS3 / Xbox 360) console or PC title that featured a multiplayer component, worked on from beginning to end
- Experience writing, casting and directing actors for voice over, camera, and for motion capture/performance capture
- Presentation skills and experience with PowerPoint
- Experience with wiki-based design documentation
- Undergraduate degree in English, History, Creative Writing, Video Game Design, or a form of technical training
- Experience with source-control applications (SVN, Perforce, AlienBrain, etc.)
Perks & Benefits
Alongside our brand-new headquarters, stocked up drinks fridge and a never-ending supply of coffee, all of our roles come complete with the following perks and benefits:
- 33 days annual leave (including 8 public holidays) for better work/life balance
- Flexitime: start any time between 08:30 and 10:00, so long as you do 8 hours of work with 1 hour of unpaid lunch
- Private medical insurance that covers you, your partner, and children
- Private dental insurance that significantly reduces cost of dentistry for you, your partner, and children
- 10 weeks maternity/paternity leave
- Childcare voucher scheme
- Pension scheme where the company matches your contribution
- Complimentary gym membership
- Free eye tests + discounted glasses
- Quarterly revenue share after 1 year of service
- Brand new state of the art office
- Life drawing classes, and massage allowance
- Free fruit juices and soft drinks + Beer and pastries on a Friday
- Quiet Room for yoga, prayer, contemplation and refocusing.
- Employee assistance program
- Referral fee
Find out more on our Perks & Benefits page.
Splash Damage offers a fun, friendly and relaxed working environment. Everyone here shares a passion for video games and that shows in daily office life. We also regularly get together for social events like pub quizzes, cinema nights, football, and family-friendly company parties.
Find out more on our Culture page.