Sumo Digital is one of the UK's most prolific and secure independent game developers with a talented team of over 280 staff currently based in Sheffield. A second UK studio in Nottingham opened in March 2016 and has rapidly grown to a 45 strong team with many fantastic new opportunities on the horizon.
Since our inception in 2003 we have had a string of successful titles across all gaming platforms for partners that include Microsoft, SEGA, Sony, Disney and many more.
Our most recent successes include Forza Horizon 2 (Xbox 360), LittleBigPlanet 3 (PlayStation 4, and PlayStation 3) , Disney Infinity 3.0 Toy Box Speedway (multi-platform) , and our first self-published title Snake Pass (multi-platform). We are also incredibly proud to be working on the highly anticipated Crackdown 3 (Xbox One) and Dead Island 2 (multi-platform) plus several other exciting but yet unannounced projects.
2017 will be Sumo's biggest and best year ever. Come and be part of it.
Role and Purpose
The Development Director manages the client, budget and team of multiple projects from initial conception to completion.
- Client Relationships - primary point of contact for all client relations. Responsible for clear communication and on-going development and maintenance of the relationship
- Budget - help define and manage game budget, meet variable workforce program, and work within target profit margin.
- Projects - pitch, land, schedule and monitor projects and their development cycles. Define milestones, negotiate contracts, assign team members (with Technical Director and Art Director), and manage risks.
- Management - Plan and assist with strategic studio initiatives. Manage the balance of quality, budget and time on the project. Provide weekly reports to studio management. Managerial responsibility for Producers and Designers.
- Team - Provide feedback to Technical Director and Art Director on team issues (including scheduling and staff performance) and provide long term and short term project direction to the team. As needed provide input related to hires, terminations, promotions, and discipline.
- Design - Oversee project technical design & art.
Skills Experience and Qualifications
- 5+ years of industry experience
- Must have shipped 2+ full price games in a project management role on major platforms
- Superior managerial and leadership skills
- Expert knowledge in project scheduling and planning
- MS Office (Word, Excel, Project, Power Point, etc.)
- Critical and analytical thinker
- Excellent negotiation skills
- Work well/respond to pressure
- Communicate effectively within a large group/multiple project environment
- Complete projects within contractual obligations
- Manage schedule, quality and budget
- Effectively manage personnel issues and develop a high performance team
What We Offer
We offer a super benefits package including generous holidays, flexitime and excellent employee benefits. Further perks include our legendary annual Sumo Big Day Out, plus epic Christmas parties, money on your birthday, on site free gym and free fruit for everyone! Our new, regular studio Game Jams are a highlight - staff spend a full day developing and pitching their own game ideas for possible development by Sumo.
Our environment is relaxed, friendly and built upon the basis of every team member having the opportunity to shine and have a realisable input into the games we create. We are a very happy ship with lots of incredibly nice people that partake in shared interest groups, lunchtime clubs, charity fundraising events and lots of socialising.
We are proud to be located in Sheffield, just off J34 of the M1 offering easy road and rail access from Leeds, Manchester and the Midlands. Sheffield itself enjoys wealth of facilities including world class sporting facilities, stunning theatres and galleries, shopping, restaurants and incredible parks and green spaces - all on the doorstep of the beautiful Peak District National Park. We love it here.
Please apply at http://www.sumo-digital.com
For a confidential chat about this role please call our Recruiter Rebecca Askham on +44 (0)114 2426766 or email firstname.lastname@example.org