Sumo Digital is one of the UK's most prolific and secure independent game developers with a talented team of over 280 staff currently based in Sheffield. A second UK studio in Nottingham opened in March 2016 and has rapidly grown to a 45 strong team with many fantastic new opportunities on the horizon.
Since our inception in 2003 we have had a string of successful titles across all gaming platforms for partners that include Microsoft, SEGA, Sony, Disney and many more.
Our most recent successes include Forza Horizon 2 (Xbox 360), LittleBigPlanet 3 (PlayStation 4, and PlayStation 3) , Disney Infinity 3.0 Toy Box Speedway (multi-platform) , and our first self-published title Snake Pass (multi-platform). We are also incredibly proud to be working on the highly anticipated Crackdown 3 (Xbox One) and Dead Island 2 (multi-platform) plus several other exciting but yet unannounced projects.
2017 will be Sumo's biggest and best year ever. Come and be part of it.
Role and Purpose
We are looking for a talented and experienced Game Designer to join the team on a new AAA project. This is an exciting opportunity for a Designer specialising in holistic game design and UI/UX development.
- Be the vision holder for multiple features which span the game;
- Strive for quality and innovation while adhering to IP restrictions;
- Form design goals, frameworks and success metrics for each feature you produce;
- Create high level presentation materials for pitching concepts to product stakeholders;
- Produce low level specifications for feature costing and production schematics;
- Ability to solve complex problems using game design theory and the psychology of play;
- Designing and modelling complex game systems based on high-level concepts;
- Design a product from end-to-end including progression structures, rewards and game flow;
- Review and adjust designs based on user testing and telemetry data;
- Create a UI which supports IP goals and conforms to contemporary UX methodologies;
- Author wireframes and UI prototypes to solidify and formalise design thinking
- Mentor and improve junior members of the team;
Skills Experience and Qualifications
Essential skills and experience:
- Proven track record of designing AAA games from product inception to release;
- Ability to evangelise the game's design to multi-discipline teams and across the organisation;
- Rich knowledge of game theory and the science behind the design;
- Understanding of a product's user base and player behaviours;
- Significant experience designing and balancing complex systems;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills;
- Organisational and workload management skills are essential for success;
- Empathise with different disciplines to form aligned and sympathetic concept;
- Ability to lead multiple feature teams of a cross-disciplinary makeup;
- Create pipelines and processes which controls and aligns feature development;
- Deep understanding of UI/UX best practices;
Desirable skills and experience:
- Shipped a AAA title using UE3/4;
- Knowledge of UE4 Blueprint Scripting;
- Experience in FPS Games Design and narrative driven content;
- Understanding of Platform Holder functionality and usage within product;
What We Offer
We offer a super benefits package including generous holidays, flexitime and excellent employee benefits. Further perks include our legendary annual Sumo Big Day Out, plus epic Christmas parties, money on your birthday, on site free gym and free fruit for everyone! Our new, regular studio Game Jams are a highlight - staff spend a full day developing and pitching their own game ideas for possible development by Sumo.
Our environment is relaxed, friendly and built upon the basis of every team member having the opportunity to shine and have a realisable input into the games we create. We are a very happy ship with lots of incredibly nice people that partake in shared interest groups, lunchtime clubs, charity fundraising events and lots of socialising.
We are proud to be located in Sheffield, just off J34 of the M1 offering easy road and rail access from Leeds, Manchester and the Midlands. Sheffield itself enjoys wealth of facilities including world class sporting facilities, stunning theatres and galleries, shopping, restaurants and incredible parks and green spaces - all on the doorstep of the beautiful Peak District National Park. We love it here.
For a confidential chat about this role please call our Recruiter Rebecca Askham on +44 (0)114 2426766 or email email@example.com