Sumo Digital is one of the UK's most prolific and secure independent game developers with a talented team of over 280 staff currently based in Sheffield. A second UK studio in Nottingham opened in 2016 and now has many fantastic new opportunities on the horizon.
Since our inception in 2003 we have had a string of successful titles across all gaming platforms for partners that include Microsoft, SEGA, Sony, Disney and many more.
Our most recent successes include Forza Horizon 2 (Xbox 360), LittleBigPlanet 3 (PlayStation 4, and PlayStation 3) , Disney Infinity 3.0 Toy Box Speedway (multi-platform) , and our first self-published title Snake Pass (multi-platform). We are also incredibly proud to be working on the highly anticipated Crackdown 3 (Xbox One) and Dead Island 2 (multi-platform) plus several other exciting but yet unannounced projects.
Opening in March 2016, Sumo Digital's Nottingham studio has grown steadily, featuring highly experienced industry talent covering a wide range of disciplines. The studio's first full project is now well under way, with many more exciting opportunities also ahead.
2018 will be Sumo's biggest and best year ever. Come and be part of it.
Role and Purpose
We have exciting opportunities for Network Programmers to join Sumo Sheffield and Sumo Nottingham.
The Senior Network Programmer's primary responsibility is to design and implement low level network systems and implement network game play or enable network game play to be developed. Must also exhibit excellent verbal and written communication skills, a high level of understanding towards game technology production and an adaptability to meet the needs of multiple projects utilizing common technology, when applicable.
• Development of technical design specification, implementation and test plans
• Testing, debugging and revision of new or legacy engine network systems
• Development of network systems appropriate to a given game
• Implementing and supporting other network features as required by a given game's target platform or platforms
• Profiling, performance-analysis, performance tuning
• Researching state of the art techniques and contributing innovative and original ideas towards all aspects of game networking
• Working with Technology Programmers, Development Directors, QA Testers and game project production staff
• Meet production schedules and deadlines
Skills Experience and Qualifications
• High proficiency in C/C++
• Extensive console programming experience on shipped AAA titles required
• Excellent debugging and communication skills
• Practical experience with 3D maths
• Experience with at least one console network API
• Experience developing network game play
• Experience with source control systems
Demonstrated Ability To:
• Communicate effectively within a large group/multiple project environment
• Think critically, and apply analytical skills in resolving complex issues
• High personal standards as demonstrated in quality and pride of work
• Create complex systems from start to finish
• Quickly master proprietary tools and development processes
• To take direction and criticism
• Meet deadlines designated for team projects
• Professionalism and the ability to function well within a team
• Self motivated
What We Offer
We offer a super benefits package including generous holidays, flexitime and excellent employee benefits. Further perks include our legendary annual Sumo Big Day Out, plus epic Christmas parties, money on your birthday, and free fruit for everyone! Our new, regular studio Game Jams are a highlight - staff spend a full day developing and pitching their own game ideas for possible development by Sumo.
Our environment is relaxed, friendly and built upon the basis of every team member having the opportunity to shine and have a realisable input into the games we create. We are a very happy ship with lots of incredibly nice people that partake in shared interest groups, lunchtime clubs, charity fundraising events and lots of socialising.