Sumo Digital is one of the UK's most prolific and secure independent game developers with a talented team of over 280 staff currently based in Sheffield. A second UK studio in Nottingham opened in March 2016 and has rapidly grown to a 45 strong team with many fantastic new opportunities on the horizon.
Since our inception in 2003 we have had a string of successful titles across all gaming platforms for partners that include Microsoft, SEGA, Sony, Disney and many more.
Our most recent successes include Forza Horizon 2 (Xbox 360), LittleBigPlanet 3 (PlayStation 4, and PlayStation 3) , Disney Infinity 3.0 Toy Box Speedway (multi-platform) , and our first self-published title Snake Pass (multi-platform). We are also incredibly proud to be working on the highly anticipated Crackdown 3 (Xbox One) and Dead Island 2 (multi-platform) plus several other exciting but yet unannounced projects.
2018 will be Sumo's biggest and best year ever. Come and be part of it.
Role and Purpose
We have an opening for a QA Tester with Multiplayer experience on an AAA project currently in pre-production.
• Taking titles through end phase submission testing, from alpha to gold master
• Development QA from early design through to end phase testing involving:
• Grey box testing
• Black box / functional testing
• Monitoring project check-ins as well as liaising with the dev team to identify and track issues
• Daily smoke test on all target platforms
• Create, run and maintain test cases and test scenarios
• Adjustment and improvement to test approach to capture issues early in the development process
• Provide feedback and suggestions to improve game quality and game experience
• If required the successful applicant may be expected to work outside normal office hours, including weekends.
Skills Experience and Qualifications
• Proven track record of QA testing 2 projects from start to completion with console testing experience
• Proactive and self-motivated, identifies problems in advance and presents innovative test approaches
• Strong knowledge of network testing including:
• Co-op functionality testing experience
• Network conditioning testing with the ability to setup and maintain tools to aid with:
o Latency testing
o Packet loss testing
o Connection restrictive testing
• Proven Quality Assurance knowledge with game development\components
• Bug\defect tracking based experience such as JIRA, Hansoft, Bugzilla etc.
• Very active team player with excellent written and spoken communication skills
• Ability to meet deadlines
• Experienced games player with the ability to familiarise with game-play elements rapidly
• Passion and enthusiasm for the role and the company
• An understanding of working within an agile development team
• Experience with FPS action and combat games. Plus a strong passion for this genre.
• Proficiency with Microsoft Office applications
What We Offer
We offer a super benefits package including generous holidays, flexitime and excellent employee benefits. Further perks include our legendary annual Sumo Big Day Out, plus epic Christmas parties, money on your birthday, on site free gym and free fruit for everyone! Our new, regular studio Game Jams are a highlight - staff spend a full day developing and pitching their own game ideas for possible development by Sumo.
Our environment is relaxed, friendly and built upon the basis of every team member having the opportunity to shine and have a realisable input into the games we create. We are a very happy ship with lots of incredibly nice people that partake in shared interest groups, lunchtime clubs, charity fundraising events and lots of socialising.
We are proud to be located in Sheffield, just off J34 of the M1 offering easy road and rail access from Leeds, Manchester and the Midlands. Sheffield itself enjoys wealth of facilities including world class sporting facilities, stunning theatres and galleries, shopping, restaurants and incredible parks and green spaces - all on the doorstep of the beautiful Peak District National Park. We love it here.
Please apply via the Apply Now button or click Email this job to a friend to refer someone you know.
For a confidential chat about this role please call our Recruitment Team on +44 (0)114 2426766.