Sumo Digital is one of the UK's most prolific and secure independent game developers with a talented team of over 280 staff currently based in Sheffield. A second UK studio in Nottingham opened in March 2016 and has rapidly grown to a 45 strong team with many fantastic new opportunities on the horizon.
Since our inception in 2003 we have had a string of successful titles across all gaming platforms for partners that include Microsoft, SEGA, Sony, Disney and many more.
Our most recent successes include Forza Horizon 2 (Xbox 360), LittleBigPlanet 3 (PlayStation 4, and PlayStation 3) , Disney Infinity 3.0 Toy Box Speedway (multi-platform) , and our first self-published title Snake Pass (multi-platform). We are also incredibly proud to be working on the highly anticipated Crackdown 3 (Xbox One) and Dead Island 2 (multi-platform) plus several other exciting but yet unannounced projects.
2017 will be Sumo's biggest and best year ever. Come and be part of it.
Role and Purpose
We have an unmissable opportunity for a highly creative Senior Technical Animator to join our Sheffield studio. This is a fantastic opportunity to influence, define and manage the character pipeline of a large, genre-defining AAA console title. You need to have a wealth of experience and impressive track record backed up by a body of work demonstrating your highly creative approach. A strong ability to produce polished rigs, animation and character pipelines that are world class is essential. You will need to clearly demonstrate experience in setting up and managing character behaviour graphs and in working with code and design to achieve solid and engaging player experiences. Strong scripting skills and examples of problem solving are also essential. Experience using Unreal/Unity and Maya is an advantage.
- Develop, manage and maintain a class leading character pipeline.
- Work with code and design to achieve a solid and engaging player experiences.
- Exhibit a strong understanding of the fundamental principles of animation as they apply to the animation design.
- Assist in Lead responsibilities such as mentoring, scheduling and R&D into new features.
- Contribute to the conceptualization of character behaviours and abilities.
- Provide detailed input during the character creation process, from concept to modelling to final rigging, identifying character performance and functionality requirements.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the pipelines and procedures within the project as a whole.
Skills Experience and Qualifications
- Minimum 4 years of industry experience animating characters for console and/or PC games with a minimum of 1 published game.
- Evidence of previous games completed in a senior technical animation role.
- A strong demo reel that adequately reflects this experience.
- Solid knowledge of Maya and/or 3DstudioMax.
- Scripting vial mel, MaxScript or Python.
- Thorough understanding of animation fundamentals for human and non-human characters.
- Understanding of character creation process from concept, to modelling and final rigging.
- Demonstrable experience in creating animation of a high standard while maintaining visual and functional specifications for game mechanics.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
What We Offer
Our environment is relaxed, friendly and built upon the basis of every team member having the opportunity to shine. We encourage everyone to input into the games we create and foster a strong team mentality. We have many interest groups, lunchtime clubs, charity fundraising events and lots of socialising.
We offer a superb benefits package including generous holidays and flexitime. Further perks include our legendry annual Sumo Big Day Out, plus epic Christmas parties, an on-site gym and regular studio Game Jams.
We are proud to be located in Sheffield, just off J34 of the M1 offering easy road and rail access from Leeds, Manchester and the Midlands. Sheffield itself enjoys a wealth of facilities including world class sporting facilities, stunning theatres and galleries, shopping, restaurants and incredible parks and green spaces - all on the doorstep of the beautiful Peak District National Park.
Please apply at http://www.sumo-digital.com
For a confidential chat about this role please call our Recruiter Rebecca Askham on +44 (0)114 2426766 or email firstname.lastname@example.org