Sumo Digital is one of the UK's most prolific and secure independent game developers with a talented team of over 290 staff currently based in Sheffield. A second UK studio in Nottingham opened in March 2016 and has rapidly grown to a 60+ strong team with many fantastic new opportunities on the horizon. Sumo Newcastle joined the family in January 2018. This highly experienced team is also looking to grow and add to their high-calibre staff across all disciplines.
Since our inception in 2003 we have had a string of successful titles across all gaming platforms for partners that include Microsoft, SEGA, Sony, Disney and many more. Our most recent successes include Forza Horizon 2 (Xbox 360), LittleBigPlanet 3 (PlayStation 4, and PlayStation 3), Disney Infinity 3.0 Toy Box Speedway (multi-platform) , and our first self-published title Snake Pass (multi-platform) . We are also incredibly proud to be working on the highly anticipated Crackdown 3 (Xbox One) and Dead Island 2 (multi-platform ) plus several other exciting but currently unannounced projects.
2018 will be Sumo's biggest and best year ever. Come and be part of it.
Role and Purpose
We are looking for enthusiastic and experienced programmers to join the Sumo Sheffield and Sumo Nottingham teams to assist with development of existing console and Windows based projects.
We are always hiring talented programmers, and welcome applications across all specialist areas.
Please specify in your application if you have a preferred location, otherwise you will be considered for opportunities across both studios.
- Working with project managers and other leads to define and complete programming tasks
- Writing high quality source code
- Working with designers to implement gameplay and user interface elements to the designers' specifications
- Liaising with Quality Assurance to fix bugs
- Ensuring the game is compliant with manufacturer's guidelines for the relevant platforms
- Maintaining stability of development environment for the entire development team
Skills Experience and Qualifications
- Strong C++ programming skills
- Strong 3D programming and mathematics skills
- Thorough understanding of the game production process
- Excellent communication skills
- Worked on at least one released game and/or experience with at least one current generation engine (UE4, CryEngine, Source, Unity etc.)
- Experience of source control systems
- Contributing to shipped titles on games console
- Graphics systems (3D graphics, animation, camera control, lighting, materials and shaders)
- Knowledge of the requirements placed on gameplay code by a multiplayer networked game
- Experience with Playstation, Xbox, Nintendo, console programming
- Experience of working to manufacturers' guidelines for the relevant platforms
What We Offer
We offer a super benefits package including generous holidays, flexitime and excellent employee benefits. Further perks include our legendary annual Sumo Big Day Out, plus epic Christmas parties, money on your birthday, on site free gym and free fruit for everyone! Our new, regular studio Game Jams are a highlight - staff spend a full day developing and pitching their own game ideas for possible development by Sumo.
Sumo's environment is relaxed, friendly and built upon the basis of every team member having the opportunity to shine and have a realisable input into the games we create. We are a very happy ship with lots of incredibly nice people that partake in shared interest groups, lunchtime clubs, charity fundraising events and lots of socialising.
Our Sheffield studio, just off J34 of the M1 offers easy road and rail access from Leeds, Manchester and the Midlands. Sheffield itself enjoys wealth of facilities including world class sporting facilities, stunning theatres and galleries, shopping, restaurants and incredible parks and green spaces - all on the doorstep of the beautiful Peak District National Park.
Our Newcastle studio is a beautiful renovated blue plaque building next to the River Tyne and just a ten minute walk to Newcastle city centre. Newcastle has everything to offer that any major European city has; culture, heritage, lively bars and fantastic retail. It is an exciting cosmopolitan city with new restaurants, bars and attractions constantly appearing whilst also boasting plenty of beautiful outdoor space including several beaches under an hour drive away. Newcastle was even voted the number one place that travellers should visit in 2018 by Rough Guide!
We offer a super benefits package including generous holidays, flexi-time and excellent employee benefits. Further perks include our legendary annual Sumo Big Day Out, plus epic Christmas parties, money on your birthday and free fruit for everyone! Our new, regular studio Game Jams are a highlight - staff spend a full day developing and pitching their own game ideas for possible development by Sumo.
Please apply via the Apply Now button or click Email this job to a friend to refer someone you know.
For a confidential chat about this role please call our Recruitment Team on +44 (0)114 2426766.