VEHICLE PROGRAMMER (136)
Reflections, a Ubisoft studio is a video games development company based in Newcastle, UK. Collaborating with Ubisoft's international creative teams on projects such as Assassins Creed Syndicate, Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon, online open-world RPG "The Division" as well as the adventure platformer "Grow Home". With a host of other top titles to our name such as open-world action adventure 'Watch Dogs', MMO racer "The Crew" and the latest instalment in the world's No.1 dance game franchise 'Just Dance 2015' Reflections' objective is to combine technical expertise, flair and innovation to create and contribute to successful and memorable games. We are looking for Pioneering, Obsessive Humans to cement its reputation as an industry leading studio within the UK and the world.
Work within a collaborative multidiscipline environment implementing vehicle related features such as vehicle simulation, vehicle related artificial intelligence, gameplay and network synchronisation.
- Assist with investigation, design and implementation of class-leading vehicle features;
- Implement practical and timely solutions that meet the game design and technical requirements;
- Involvement with education of the game team to ensure vehicle gameplay is considered during the design and implementation of game features;
- Implement code that is modular, self-contained, and defensive and observes the technical constraints on the system;
- Work as a key part of an agile development team, taking responsibility for organising and planning their own work;
- Ensure coding standards are followed, and help to enforce good programming practices within the engineering team;
- Maintain technical documentation for the engineering team as well as other disciplines;
- Optimise code and data for memory usage and performance as required;
- Write debugging tools for programmers, level designers and artists;
- Keeps abreast of changes related to vehicle and physics gaming within the industry;
- Supporting the Lead Programmer in any ad hoc tasks and duties.
Skills and Knowledge
- Passionate about playing and making games;
- Some knowledge of physics middleware such as Havok, Bullet, PhysX or equivalent in house physics simulation systems, including their architecture, application and limitations;
- Excellent C/C++ programming skills, with good knowledge of object oriented development;
- Able to plan and estimate their own tasks and ensure timely delivery of work;
- Self-motivated with a strong work ethic;
- Knowledge of common algorithms, data structures and patterns, and the ability to apply them to problems while keeping constraints and performance in mind;
- Able to analyse unfamiliar code of a reasonable complexity to understand and extend the functionality of an existing module;
- Knowledge of different software development methods such as Test Driven Development, Unit Testing, Agile etc.;
- Excellent communication skills in spoken and written English.
- Experience with commonly used development tools such as Visual Studio and Perforce;
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant subject or equivalent industry experience;
- Substantial commercial software development experience with significant involvement in 1 published game in a vehicle simulation programming capacity.
Salary: Competitive + Relocation
Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, U.K
Opening date: 19th July 2017
Closing date for applications: 18th August 2017
Reflections reserves the right to close this advert earlier than the closing date indicated should we feel we have received sufficient applications.