LEAD PROGRAMMER (156)
Ubisoft is 10,000 creative minds spanning 6 continents. With around 85% of its staff devoted to game development, Ubisoft has the 2nd largest in-house creative team in the world.
The company’s 27 different creative studios work hand-in-hand each day to deliver rich and innovative gaming experiences that reflect the creativity and diversity of their teams. This cross-studio collaboration model means every team member has the opportunity to participate in challenging projects based on brands including Assassin's Creed®, For Honor® Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon®, Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell®, Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six, Tom Clancy's The Division, Rabbids®, Rayman®, Watch Dogs®, Far Cry®, The Crew®, Just Dance® and more.
Be responsible for leading the engineering team within a collaborative multidiscipline environment, defining and tracking the schedule for his team, managing and mentoring individuals within the engineering team, and being an evangelist for the project.
Producer of the Project
Programmer Team Leads and Technical Leads
• Mentor, manage and regularly review individuals to build a cohesive and effective team;
• Work with production, engineers, design and art team leads to create task estimates and schedules for the engineering team and track development efforts across the team;
• Determine the technical needs and requirements for the team;
• Liaise with internal and external middleware technology providers, and console manufacturers;
• Balance active code development with the management requirements and responsibilities of a discipline lead;
• Ensure the delivery of practical and timely solutions by the engineering team that meets the game design and technical requirements;
• Ensure code is modular, self-contained, and defensive and observes the technical constraints on the system by leading regular technical design and code reviews;
• Define good programming practices and coding standards, and ensure they are enforced within the engineering team through regular peer code reviews;
• Ensure the creation of technical documentation for the engineering team as well as other disciplines, and assist in the creation of submission materials as required;
• Continually review the game and development processes to identify potential improvements;
• An advocate and ambassador for technology sharing across projects;
• Supporting the Producer in any ad hoc tasks and duties.
Skills and Knowledge
• Passionate about playing and making games, and has a good knowledge of the games industry in general;
• Excellent C/C++ programming skills, with excellent knowledge of object oriented development;
• Familiarity with common scheduling, task and issue tracking tools – MS Project, Jira, etc;
• Able to create, manage and track schedules for a team of engineers;
• Self-motivated and pro-active with a strong work ethic;
• Excellent oral and written communication skills;
• Excellent knowledge of common algorithms, data structures and patterns, and the ability to apply them to problems while keeping constraints and performance in mind;
• Knowledge of most areas of game development (physics, AI, gameplay, rendering, online, tools, UI, audio) with expertise in at least 1 area;
• Proven ability to analyse unfamiliar code of a significant complexity to understand and extend the functionality of an existing module;
• In-depth knowledge of different software development methods such as Test Driven Development, Unit Testing, Agile, etc;
• Proven ability to debug defects of a significant complexity, including memory related issues, multi-threading, and assembly level debugging.
• Experience with commonly used development tools such as Visual Studio and Perforce;
• Bachelor’s degree in a relevant subject or equivalent industry experience;
• 6 years of commercial software development experience with significant involvement in 2 published games, with at least 1 project at senior level.
Salary: Competitive + Relocation
Location: Leamington Spa, U.K
Opening date: 31st July 2017
Closing date for applications: 30th August 2017
Reflections reserves the right to close this advert earlier than the closing date indicated should we feel we have received sufficient applications.