SENIOR GAMEPLAY PROGRAMMER (151)
Ubisoft is 10,000 creative minds spanning 6 continents. With around 85% of its staff devoted to game development, Ubisoft has the 2nd largest in-house creative team in the world.
The company’s 27 different creative studios work hand-in-hand each day to deliver rich and innovative gaming experiences that reflect the creativity and diversity of their teams. This cross-studio collaboration model means every team member has the opportunity to participate in challenging projects based on brands including Assassin's Creed®, For Honor® Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon®, Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell®, Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six, Tom Clancy's The Division, Rabbids®, Rayman®, Watch Dogs®, Far Cry®, The Crew®, Just Dance® and more.
Develop gameplay elements which facilitate the playability of the game (the link between the player's actions, character's behaviour, and the consequences on the evolution of the game) and complex gameplay mechanisms.
• Translate the game design into concrete gameplay features;
• Improve playability with bug-free gameplay features;
• Coach less experienced programmers;
• Take responsibility for existing, complex gameplay systems;
• Implement and optimize the interaction controls and systems with the game designer to ensure fluid playability;
• Use prototyping techniques to demonstrate the validity/invalidity of a gameplay idea;
• Determine and fix the gameplay bugs detected by the production and quality control teams;
• Establish the technical possibilities for the different gameplay features;
• Analyse and understand the game design documents in order to define the required features and game systems that must be developed in the engine;
• Validate and verify if the newly developed systems meet project intentions and are coherent with the existing code;
• Contribute to cross-studio collaboration communications in conjunction with the Lead Gameplay Programmer;
• Advance client/server real-time multiplayer systems;
• Support the Lead Gameplay Programmer in any ad hoc tasks and duties.
Skills and Knowledge
• Passionate about playing and making games;
• Ability to work efficiently with large, existing code bases;
• Excellent understanding of gameplay technology, and can use technical knowledge in various areas such as mathematics, physics, animation, artificial intelligence to implement gameplay features, and believable behaviours;
• Ability to work in an iterative environment with game designers to quickly prototype gameplay features;
• Excellent C/C++ programming skills, with good knowledge of object oriented development;
• Knowledge of scripting languages like LUA;
• Familiarity with common scheduling, task and issue tracking tools – MS Project, Jira, etc.;
• Knowledge of common algorithms, data structures and patterns, and the ability to apply them to problems while keeping constraints and performance in mind;
• Able to analyse unfamiliar code of a reasonable complexity to understand and extend the functionality of an existing module;
• Knowledge of different software development methods such as Test Driven Development, Unit Testing, Agile, etc.;
• Experience in working in multi-site collaboration environment;
• Able to plan and estimate their own tasks and ensure timely delivery of work;
• Self-motivated and pro-active with a strong work ethic;
• Excellent oral and written communication skills.
• 6 years commercial software development experience with significant involvement in 2 published games in a gameplay programming capacity;
• Bachelor’s degree in a relevant subject or equivalent industry experience;
• Experience in software design patterns and UML;
• Experience with visual scripting languages;
• Experience in asynchronous, multithreaded application development is a plus;
• Experience in profiling and optimisation is a plus.
Salary: Competitive + Relocation
Location: Leamington Spa, U.K
Opening date: 3rd August 2017
Closing date for applications: 2nd September 2017
Reflections reserves the right to close this advert earlier than the closing date indicated should we feel we have received sufficient applications.