We're kicking off a new project here at Splash Damage and so we're looking for a Narrative Designer to create a thrilling world for our players to get lost in!
As Narrative Designer you will help us develop and implement the characters, story arc, emotional tone, pacing, dialogue as directed by the Project Leads. You will work closely with designers, programmers and artists to create and maintain fun, playable experiences that marry gameplay mechanics with storytelling moments.
This is an applied writing job, not a pure writing job. You'll maintain design and lore documentation, be responsible for creating and maintaining VO spreadsheets, and work closely with other disciplines. You'll also need to take direction and be prepared to learn and adapt to game development pipelines and processes. Whatever your previous skills and experience, Splash Damage offers mentorship and training opportunities. Learning on the job is a thing, and there are lots of different routes by which you may have acquired the necessary skills.
This is a full-time staff writer position, not a bid for freelance pitches. If you can't move to work full-time in Bromley, UK, please don't apply.
- Champion the player's emotional engagement with the game's storyline, characters and plot developments
- Work under guidance of an IP holder to further develop their existing franchise's lore.
- Collaborate with writers, game designers and cinematics artists to craft the main storyline for the game
- Understand and create elegant connections between the core gameplay mechanics and storytelling methods
- Implement and maintain the storyline related mission logic, allowing for the game to progress between story beats in logical order
- Drive the design of narrative-related elements within the game, including map and level content to identify storytelling requirements and opportunities
- Work closely with character artists, environment artists and levels designers to develop environmental and alternative storytelling methods.
- Collaborate and communicate with stakeholders across the project to create a compelling journey for the player to explore
- React swiftly to feedback on narrative-related elements, iterating to improve their quality
- Articulate the impact of changes to the game-design to the developers on your team
- Maintain up-to-date documentation to guide the development team's efforts
- Regularly communicate to the team progress against quality, scope and game vision alignment expectations
Essential Skills and Experience
- Dependable, responsible and committed, with a passion for making and playing games
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- The ability to work both collaboratively with other disciplines and independently without close supervision
- The ability to take direction, and rapidly absorb and act on stakeholder, publisher and IP holder feedback
- Experience with design documentation, diagram and flow-chart creation
- Experience working with a game scripting language to implement game logic.
- The ability to manage and implement written designs and text and audio assets
- Skilled and experienced in writing to a high standard in all forms including but not limited to concept, research and design documents, blog posts, presentations, internal and external update and marketing videos, in-game tooltips, text logs, audio logs, VO barks, scripted scenes, storyboards, cinematic scripts, motion capture and performance capture scenes·
- The ability to create text and dialogue that fits a game's world and tone
- An understanding of the deep and varied aspects of interactive narrative
- The ability to create game worlds, characters, items, dialogue, backstory and lore to support IPs, whether our own or those of our partners and IP holders
- The ability to rapidly and thoroughly researching potential game settings, and technologies, historical events and current cultural issues, writing clear guidelines for other developers
- The ability to convert research into actable, implementable, playable narrative design documentation and scripts
- The ability to write concept briefs for all other disciplines, particularly artists, programmers and audio
Preferred Skills and Experience
- Experience in creating first or third person shooters
- At least 2 years of industry experience and 1 shipped AAA current gen or last gen (PS3 / Xbox 360) console or PC title that featured a multiplayer component, worked on from beginning to end
- Experience writing, casting and directing actors for voice over, camera, and for motion capture/performance capture
- Presentation skills and experience with PowerPoint
- Experience with wiki-based design documentation
- Undergraduate degree in English, History, Creative Writing, Video Game Design, or a form of technical training
- Experience with source-control applications (SVN, Perforce, AlienBrain, etc.)
- Video camera and editing skills/experience preferred
Perks & Benefits
Alongside our brand-new headquarters, stocked up free drinks fridge and a never-ending supply of coffee, all of our roles come complete with the following perks and benefits:
- 33 days annual leave (including 8 public holidays) for better work/life balance
- Flexitime: start any time between 08:30 and 10:00, so long as you do 8 hours of work with 1 hour of unpaid lunch
- Private medical insurance that covers you, your partner, and children
- Private dental insurance that significantly reduces cost of dentistry for you, your partner, and children
- 10 weeks maternity/paternity leave
- Childcare voucher scheme
- Pension scheme where the company matches your contribution
- Complimentary gym membership
- Free eye tests + discounted glasses
- Quarterly revenue share after 1 year of service
- Brand new state of the art office
- Life drawing classes, and massage allowance
- Free fruit juices and soft drinks + Beer and pastries on a Friday
- Quiet Room for yoga, prayer, contemplation and refocusing.
- Employee assistance program
- Referral fee
Find out more on our Perks & Benefits page.
Splash Damage offers a fun, friendly and relaxed working environment. Everyone here shares a passion for video games and that shows in daily office life. We also regularly get together for social events like pub quizzes, cinema nights, and family-friendly company parties. We particularly welcome applications from women and minority ethnic groups.
Find out more on our Culture page.