We're kicking off an exciting new project here at Splash Damage and so we're looking for a Lead Character Artist to join the leadership team to define the look and feel of our heroes and villains.
As Lead Character Artist, you will work closely with the Art Director and Creative Director and be responsible for creating, establishing and maintaining high quality characters for our project.
- Collaborate with Art and Design Directors to create technically sound, engaging and memorable characters
- Drive the visual quality in conjunction with other Lead Artists
- Ensuring character assets meet specifications provided by all relevant departments
- Able to accurately follow common goals putting the team first, whilst self-motivated and demonstrating initiative.
- Motivate & inspire the art team ensuring they keep the artistic style & mood consistent with our defined visual style
- Manage the art team including holding regular 121s, setting objectives, looking after the team's welfare and providing mentoring
- Maintain quality level, efficiency and consistency across the character team
Essential Skills and Experience
- Highly experienced and proficient with 3D Studio MAX or Maya, Zbrush and Photoshop
- Strong 3D modelling (both organic and hard surface) and texturing skills
- Strong knowledge and understanding of human anatomy and mechanics
- Strong knowledge of mechanical construction and functionality (gear and weapons)
- Experience of character pipelines and efficient memory management of UVs, textures and vertices
- Highly experienced working with multiple texturing workflows for current (PBR) and previous generations, capable of creating well defined and readable realistic materials.
- Substantial examples of current and past work demonstrating a strong understanding of form, silhouette, shape, texture, colour and lighting
- Understanding of character preparation from modelling, rigging and skinning for animation
- A keen motive to be proactive and efficient in work methods whilst maintaining high standards
- A great team player, able to communicate, learn from and teach others in a respectable manner.
- Excellent communication and collaborative problem solving skills
- Management of an experienced character art team
Desirable Skills and Experience
- 5 years+ experience in developing character models and textures
- Minimum 3 shipped titles where credited as character artist
- Knowledge of real-time shaders
- Strong traditional art foundations including but not limited to Sculpture, Conceptual design and illustration including lighting or colour keys
- Knowledge of rigging and skinning principles
- Keen interest in games and game design beyond art.
- Experience working within Unreal engine 3+
- Knowledge of Substance Painter and Marvelous Designer a plus
PERKS & BENEFITS
Alongside our brand-new headquarters, stocked up drinks fridge and a never-ending supply of coffee, all of our roles come complete with the following perks and benefits:
- Private medical insurance that will covers you, your partner, and children
- Private dental insurance that significantly reduces cost of dentistry for you, your partner, and children
- Pension scheme where the company matches your contribution
- Complimentary gym membership
- Free eye tests + discounted glasses
- Quarterly revenue share after 1 year of service
- Brand new state of the art office
- Life drawing classes, and massage allowance
- Free fruit juices and soft drinks + Beer and pastries on a Friday.
- Childcare voucher scheme
- Employee assistance program
- Referral fee
Find out more on our Perks & Benefits page.
Splash Damage offers a fun, friendly and relaxed working environment. Everyone here shares a passion for video games / shooting people in the face and that shows in daily office life. We also regularly get together for social events like pub quizzes, cinema nights, football, and company parties.
Find out more on our Culture page.