As Splash Damage's Game Designer you will be responsible for a number of major features, levels or areas of a game, driving end-to-end implementation across the team, as well as contributing to the definition of the expected quality of the game.
- Work to create a unified game experience and realise and communicate the game vision throughout the team, ensuring alignment across all disciplines; this is true for both the overall vision and the vision and design for individual features and game elements.
- Work with the team to meet the prototyping goals as set out in the master Game Design Document (GDD).
- Mentor & coach Associate Designers and manage & direct other Designers if necessary.
- Regularly be part of peer-reviews.
- Regularly communicate out progress against quality, scope and game vision alignment expectations.
- Discuss and explain the rationale behind your decision making and listen, iterating on feedback from other disciplines or Designers.
- Define and implement feature balance changes demonstrating a strong understanding of metrics and development restrictions; you will own the tuning for accountable features or levels.
- Lead focus group sessions, generate feedback reports, deliver them to the product team and integrate relevant feedback into the product design.
- Verify task estimates provided by junior staff and in turn work with your lead to give your own accurate estimates for work as well as logging work in management software.
- Provide input to Production / Management on project schedules throughout development to prioritise tasks / workload for the developers responsible for their assigned feature-set, in alignment with the product vision.
- Articulate the impact of changes to the game-design to the developers on your team.
Essential Skills and Experience
- A passion for making and playing games
- At least 2 years of industry experience and 1 shipped AAA current gen or last gen (PS3 / Xbox 360) console or PC title that featured a multiplayer component, worked on from beginning to end
- The ability to work independently without close supervision
- Experience in creating first or third person shooters
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Experience writing high quality and thorough design documentation
- Experience of prototyping gameplay mechanics using UE4, Source, or similar
- Experience with design documentation, diagram and flow-chart creation
- Experience with source-control applications (SVN, Perforce, AlienBrain, etc.)
- The ability to work collaboratively with other disciplines
Preferred Skills and Experience
- Presentation skills and experience with PowerPoint
- UE4 Blueprints / UE3 UnrealScript
- Experience with scripting or programming language
- Experience with wiki-based design documentation
- Undergraduate degree in Video Game Design, Computer Science, Marketing, Entertainment or a form of technical training
Perks & Benefits
Alongside our brand-new headquarters, stocked up drinks fridge and a never-ending supply of coffee, all of our roles come complete with the following perks and benefits:
- Private dental insurance that significantly reduces cost of dentistry for you, your partner, and children
- Pension scheme where the company matches your contribution
- Complimentary gym membership
- Free eye tests + discounted glasses
- Quarterly revenue share after 1 year of service
- Brand new state of the art office
- Life drawing classes, and massage allowance
- Free fruit juices and soft drinks + Beer and pastries on a Friday
- Childcare voucher scheme
- Employee assistance program
- Referral fee
Find out more on our Perks & Benefits page.
Splash Damage offers a fun, friendly and relaxed working environment. Everyone here shares a passion for video games / shooting people in the face and that shows in daily office life. We also regularly get together for social events like pub quizzes, cinema nights, football, and company parties.
Find out more on our Culture page.