We're kicking off a new project here at Splash Damage and so we're looking for a Lead Level Design to join the leadership team to create exciting and dynamic worlds for our players to get lost in!
As Lead Level Designer you will be responsible for the level design of an entire product, driving end to end implementation across the team, establishing and directing the vision for the levels, defining quality targets and validating the quality targets of others.
- Realise and communicate the game vision throughout the studio, ensuring alignment across all disciplines.
- Create and maintain documentation including the level related sections of the GDD and wiki pages, though you will largely communicate verbally; spending time with each team member, at their desks, ensuring they understand the vision and level design, are "bought-in" and have what they need to do their jobs.
- Work closely with designers, programmers and artists to create and maintain fun, playable levels.
- Organise playtest and feedback sessions to gather feedback and for you and your team to provide positive feedback to other members of the wider team.
- Collect and analyse playtest data, and iterate on layouts accordingly in collaboration with environment artists.
- Have a thorough understanding of the core gameplay mechanics and how the levels will deliver / showcase those mechanics, understand the project goals, and target demographic.
- Have a clear understanding of the technical constraints of the game engine, the capabilities and workflow of the game editor and level design pipeline, and contribute ideas to help improve them.
- Maintain a focus on the gameplay aspects of the maps and ensure that focus is shared by the Level Design team.
- Present your vision for the levels and your work to the team, upper management and the wider company at various stages and be happy to accept positive critique from all sources.
- Pro-actively work with the other level designers to share knowledge, re-view content and ensure consistency both on the immediate team and across the studio.
- Manage, mentor & coach Senior, Junior & Level Designers.
- Verify task estimates provided by junior staff and in turn work with your lead to give your own accurate estimates for work as well as logging work in management software.
- Provide input to Production / Management on project schedules throughout development to prioritise tasks / workload for the developers responsible for their assigned feature-set, in alignment with the product vision.
- Articulate the impact of changes to the level design to the developers on your team.
- Expected to regularly monitor the bug database and fix issues in a timely fashion to maintain stability and ensure that your team's levels remain playable at all times.
- Define and implement feature optimisations and tuning plans demonstrating a strong understanding of metrics and development restrictions; you will own the tuning for accountable features or levels.
- Where necessary, regularly and effectively communicate with any external partners or publishers; managing those relationships, presenting the creative achievements of the team, negotiating feature / change requests.
- When appropriate, communicate outwards to press, communities and fans in various formats from live appearances to pre-recorded interviews to forum engagement acting as both an evangelist and representative of the product and as an ambassador for Splash Damage.
Essential Skills and Experience
· A passion for making and playing games
· At least 5+ years of industry experience and 3 shipped AAA current gen console or PC title that featured a multiplayer component, worked on from beginning to end
· The ability to work collaboratively with other disciplines
· The ability to work independently without close supervision
· Experience in creating first or third person shooters
· Excellent verbal and written communication skills
· A passion for environment design and architectural concepts
· Experience of level-building using 3D level editing tools (UnrealEd, Hammer, Radiant, etc.)
· Experience of prototyping maps and environmental mechanics using UE4, UE3, Unity, or similar
· Experience writing high quality and thorough design documentation including diagram and flow-chart creation
· Experience with source-control applications (SVN, Perforce, AlienBrain, etc.)
Preferred Skills and Experience
- Presentation skills and experience with PowerPoint
- Knowledge of gameplay event scripting and entity setup
- Experience with UnrealEd/UDK and Kismet
- Traditional art skills
- Experience with 3DSMax, Maya, or other professional 3D modelling soft-ware
- Experience with Adobe Photoshop or similar
- Experience with scripting or programming language
- Experience with wiki-based design documentation
- Undergraduate degree in Video Game Design, Computer Science, Market-ing, Entertainment or a form of technical training
Perks & Benefits
Alongside our brand-new headquarters, stocked up drinks fridge and a never-ending supply of coffee, all of our roles come complete with the following perks and benefits:
- Splash Damage Developer Obsidian Loadout Cards!!1!one1!
- The occasional tasty treat from our wonderful fan base
- Private dental insurance that significantly reduces cost of dentistry for you, your partner, and children
- Pension scheme where the company matches your contribution
- Complimentary gym membership
- Free eye tests + discounted glasses
- Quarterly revenue share after 1 year of service
- Brand new state of the art office
- Life drawing classes, and massage allowance
- Free fruit juices and soft drinks + Beer and pastries on a Friday
- Childcare voucher scheme
- Employee assistance program
- Referral fee
Find out more on our Perks & Benefits page.
Splash Damage offers a fun, friendly and relaxed working environment. Everyone here shares a passion for video games / shooting people in the face and that shows in daily office life. We also regularly get together for social events like pub quizzes, cinema nights, football, and company parties.
Find out more on our Culture page.