Lead Character Artist - Gears of War - The Coalition
We are seeking an inspiring and creative Lead Character Artist to work on the iconic Gears of War franchise at The Coalition. In this position, you will be expected to partner with the Art Director(s) to help define the character quality bar for the project and lead a talented team of Artists to bring the vision to reality. We are looking for an individual that has demonstrated best in class skills in Character & Creature Art, but who also has a proven track record of leading a team and setting up an environment where they can thrive. You may also be called upon to help define technical best practices for the development of our character tools, pipelines and systems.
• Set an example for the team by upholding the principles of The Coalition Art Team in building a creative, positive & inspiring culture for the character team.
• Serve as a source of escalation for the team, removing roadblocks and allowing work to be completed as efficiently as possible.
• Facilitate professional growth of team members by providing feedback and conducting timely 1:1 meetings.
• Partner with the Technical Art team to develop, test and maintain workflows.
• Partner with production to provide estimates, manage risks and assign tasks, ensuring work is completed on time at a high level of quality.
• Interface with the other leads, keeping in mind the big picture and actively looking out for dependencies and providing creative ways to resolve them.
• Partner with the Art Director to evangelize the vision of the game to his/her team.
• Conduct reviews and provide feedback in line with this vision, maintaining quality and consistency.
• To ensure alignment with the AD, set up kickoff meetings prior to beginning a new character and reviews at pre-determined intervals.
• Working with the production partner and Outsourcing Lead, drive the outsourcing effort, ensuring that style guides & workbooks are created and feedback is given in a timely manner.
• Must have 6-8+ years of experience in video games, film/television or equivalent. Must also have 1-3+ years’ experience in a leadership capacity.
• Art-related degree and/or comparable professional experience.
• Exceptional visual and technical understanding in sculpting, 3D modeling & texturing (both high- & low-resolution characters).
• Experience with facial morph targets and a deep knowledge of facial expressions a must.
• Experience and/or education in sculpting and drawing realistic organic forms with an emphasis on human, biped and quadruped shapes. Excellent anatomical understanding a must.
• Experience creating both humans and creatures.
• Proficient in Maya (preferred), 3D Max or XSI.
• Mudbox or Zbrush proficiency a must.
• Substance Painter experience a plus.
• Unreal Engine experience a plus.
• Experience with skeleton/rig creation a plus.
• Must work well with deadlines and be self-motivated and directed.
Please include a link to your portfolio that best demonstrates your range in design.
ABOUT THE COALITION:
The Coalition is a growing team of talented, creative, fun-loving professionals from around the world who are united in their passion for Gears of War. Located in Vancouver, Canada, the studio is dedicated to pushing the Gears franchise to new heights with its belief that if you want to go far, go together.
Windows and Devices Group