Senior Physics Programmer - SUMO SHEFFIELD
More information about this job
Sumo Digital is one of the UK's most prolific and secure independent game developers with a talented team of over 280 staff currently based in Sheffield. A second UK studio in Nottingham opened in March 2016 and has rapidly grown to a 45 strong team with many fantastic new opportunities on the horizon.
Since our inception in 2003 we have had a string of successful titles across all gaming platforms for partners that include Microsoft, SEGA, Sony, Disney and many more.
Our most recent successes include Forza Horizon 2 (Xbox 360), LittleBigPlanet 3 (PlayStation 4, and PlayStation 3), Disney Infinity 3.0 Toy Box Speedway (multi-platform), and our first self-published title Snake Pass (multi-platform). We are also incredibly proud to be working on the highly anticipated Crackdown 3 (Xbox One) and Dead Island 2 (multi-platform) plus several other exciting but yet unannounced projects.
2017 will be Sumo’s biggest and best year ever. Come and be part of it.
Role and Purpose
We have an exciting Physics Programmer opportunity working in Unreal 4 on a large AAA project.
The Senior Physics Programmer’s primary responsibility is to design and implement complex engine components. Must also exhibit excellent verbal and written communication skills, a high level of understanding towards game technology production and an adaptability to meet the needs of multiple projects utilizing common technology.
- Development of technical design specification, implementation and test plans
- Testing, debugging and revision of new or existing engine systems
- Profiling, performance-analysis, performance tuning
- Researching state of the art techniques and contributing innovative and original ideas towards all aspects of game production and development
- Working with Technology Programmers, Development Directors, QA Testers and game project production staff
- Support other programmers on team
- Providing mentorship to Technology Programmers
- Meet production schedules and deadlines
Skills Experience and Qualifications
Essential Skills and Expertise:
- Proficiency in C/C++, minimum of 5 years of experience
- 4 years’ experience working in the game industry required
- 3+ years’ experience in console programming
- Excellent debugging and communication skills
- Practical experience with 3D maths
- Worked on at least 2 shipped games
- At least 3 years of programming experience with emphasis on physics.
- Experience writing simulation code for components such as collisions, contact force calculation, fluid-dynamics, etc.
- Exposure to GJK, Featherstone, continuous physics, union-find, sweep and prune and other game physics algorithms
- Experience with commercial game physics packages
- Experience with multithreaded programming
What We Offer
We offer a super benefits package including generous holidays, flexitime and excellent employee benefits. Further perks include our legendary annual Sumo Big Day Out, plus epic Christmas parties, money on your birthday, on site free gym and free fruit for everyone! Our new, regular studio Game Jams are a highlight - staff spend a full day developing and pitching their own game ideas for possible development by Sumo.
Our environment is relaxed, friendly and built upon the basis of every team member having the opportunity to shine and have a realisable input into the games we create. We are a very happy ship with lots of incredibly nice people that partake in shared interest groups, lunchtime clubs, charity fundraising events and lots of socialising.
We are proud to be located in Sheffield, just off J34 of the M1 offering easy road and rail access from Leeds, Manchester and the Midlands. Sheffield itself enjoys wealth of facilities including world class sporting facilities, stunning theatres and galleries, shopping, restaurants and incredible parks and green spaces - all on the doorstep of the beautiful Peak District National Park. We love it here.