Principal World Designer - SUMO SHEFFIELD
More information about this job
Sumo Digital is one of the UK's most prolific and secure independent game developers with a talented team of over 280 staff currently based in Sheffield. A second UK studio in Nottingham opened in March 2016 and has rapidly grown to a 45 strong team with many fantastic new opportunities on the horizon.
Since our inception in 2003 we have had a string of successful titles across all gaming platforms for partners that include Microsoft, SEGA, Sony, Disney and many more.
Our most recent successes include Forza Horizon 2 (Xbox 360), LittleBigPlanet 3 (PlayStation 4, and PlayStation 3), Disney Infinity 3.0 Toy Box Speedway (multi-platform), and our first self-published title Snake Pass (multi-platform). We are also incredibly proud to be working on the highly anticipated Crackdown 3 (Xbox One) and Dead Island 2 (multi-platform) plus several other exciting but yet unannounced projects.
2017 will be Sumo’s biggest and best year ever. Come and be part of it.
Role and Purpose
Sumo is looking for a talented Principal Open World Designer to join an experienced and passionate team in delivering an exciting AAA title. Focussing solely on crafting dynamic, believable and exciting play spaces, this is an opportunity for those who want to leave their mark on an already established, multi-million selling franchise.
- Collaborate with cross discipline teams to create exciting, engaging spaces;
- Understand the role of tone, ambience, narrative and gameplay mechanics in creating immersive open world experiences for discerning players;
- Realise the high level vision of the world through all stages of the development, from 2D to final shipped product;
- Plan, execute and refine varied world spaces to support gameplay, mission and artistic content;
- Use player feedback and design direction to hone the gameplay experience;
- Share past experience to mentor and develop less experienced members of the design team;
Skills Experience and Qualifications
Essential skills and experience:
- Proven experience of delivering exceptionally well designed levels and game areas;
- Shipped at least 1 AAA console title as a world designer;
- Experience in world building in one or more current generation engines/modelling tools (UE4, Unity, CryEngine, 3DS Max, Maya etc.);
- Show an ability to weave narrative themes with gameplay mechanics to build interesting world spaces;
- Being the point of contact facilitating communication between code, art and design at a senior level;
- Be able to propose creative solutions to complex design problems and importantly “bring the team with you”;
- Experience of managing a small team of designers to achieve goals set by the Creative Lead;
- Be comfortable regularly interfacing with publishers and external parties;
Desirable skills and experience:
- Shipped at least one AAA title using UE3/4;
- Experience developing open-world missions and ambient activities;
- Experience in 3D modelling (3DS Max, Maya);
- Experience in designing worlds for a story-driven FPS;
What We Offer
We offer a super benefits package including generous holidays, flexitime and excellent employee benefits. Further perks include our legendary annual Sumo Big Day Out, plus epic Christmas parties, money on your birthday, on site free gym and free fruit for everyone! Our new, regular studio Game Jams are a highlight - staff spend a full day developing and pitching their own game ideas for possible development by Sumo.
Our environment is relaxed, friendly and built upon the basis of every team member having the opportunity to shine and have a realisable input into the games we create. We are a very happy ship with lots of incredibly nice people that partake in shared interest groups, lunchtime clubs, charity fundraising events and lots of socialising.
We are proud to be located in Sheffield, just off J34 of the M1 offering easy road and rail access from Leeds, Manchester and the Midlands. Sheffield itself enjoys wealth of facilities including world class sporting facilities, stunning theatres and galleries, shopping, restaurants and incredible parks and green spaces - all on the doorstep of the beautiful Peak District National Park. We love it here.