Level Designers - SUMO SHEFFIELD
More information about this job
Sumo Digital is one of the UK's most prolific and secure independent game developers with a talented team of over 280 staff currently based in Sheffield. A second UK studio in Nottingham opened in March 2016 and has rapidly grown to a 45 strong team with many fantastic new opportunities on the horizon.
Since our inception in 2003 we have had a string of successful titles across all gaming platforms for partners that include Microsoft, SEGA, Sony, Disney and many more.
Our most recent successes include Forza Horizon 2 (Xbox 360), LittleBigPlanet 3 (PlayStation 4, and PlayStation 3), Disney Infinity 3.0 Toy Box Speedway (multi-platform), and our first self-published title Snake Pass (multi-platform). We are also incredibly proud to be working on the highly anticipated Crackdown 3 (Xbox One) and Dead Island 2 (multi-platform) plus several other exciting but yet unannounced projects.
2017 will be Sumo’s biggest and best year ever. Come and be part of it.
Role and Purpose
We are looking for talented Level Designers to join us on an exciting AAA console title. This is a great opportunity to expand your skillset and work on an established IP.
- Collaborate with all departments in the team to create innovative and memorable levels;
- Understand the role of narrative in creating immersive experiences for discerning players;
- Drive the vision of your levels through all stages of the development, from initial design brief through to final shipped product;
- Plan, execute, and refine your levels from high-level concept to low-level scripting;
- Use player-feedback and design direction to hone the gameplay experience.
Skills Experience and Qualifications
Essential skills and experience:
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills;
- Worked on at least one title as a level designer;
- Good understanding of scripting and game logic;
- Experience in scripting/level building in one or more current generation engines (UE4, Unity, CryEngine, etc.);
- An understanding of learning curves, pacing, and player motivations;
- An ability to weave narrative themes with core mechanics to build rewarding gameplay;
- An ability to propose creative solutions to complex level design problems;
- An in-depth knowledge of current games and gaming trends;
- A passion for making great games.
Desirable skills and experience:
- Knowledge of UE4 Blueprint Scripting;
- Experience in 3D modelling (3DS Max, Maya);
- Experience in designing levels for story-driven FPS.
What We Offer
We offer a super benefits package including generous holidays, flexitime and excellent employee benefits. Further perks include our legendary annual Sumo Big Day Out, plus epic Christmas parties, money on your birthday, on site free gym and free fruit for everyone! Our new, regular studio Game Jams are a highlight - staff spend a full day developing and pitching their own game ideas for possible development by Sumo.
Our environment is relaxed, friendly and built upon the basis of every team member having the opportunity to shine and have a realisable input into the games we create. We are a very happy ship with lots of incredibly nice people that partake in shared interest groups, lunchtime clubs, charity fundraising events and lots of socialising.
We are proud to be located in Sheffield, just off J34 of the M1 offering easy road and rail access from Leeds, Manchester and the Midlands. Sheffield itself enjoys wealth of facilities including world class sporting facilities, stunning theatres and galleries, shopping, restaurants and incredible parks and green spaces - all on the doorstep of the beautiful Peak District National Park. We love it here.