We are EA
At EA, we have one simple vision: become the world’s greatest games company. We are a community of artists, storytellers, technologists and innovators working in one of the most dynamic industries today. We’re building a company that thinks about player experience at every step. We are transforming for a digital future and work as one team. We take risks and we dream big. And together, we are changing the way millions play every day.
The Challenge Ahead
Frostbite in Guildford is a growing team that plays a critical role in the engine that EA has developed to empower game makers in the company. We focus on building a world-class cross-platform physics engine and features that directly drive innovation in EA’s franchises such as FIFA, Dragon Age and Battlefield. This is developed using an internal Open Source model that invites the company’s best engineers to contribute.
We are looking for highly motivated and talented Senior Engineers to join our high calibre team in Frostbite. You would be working as part of a small team, directly engaged with game teams around the globe to deliver outstanding innovation and performance on PS4, Xbox One, PC, iPhone, iPad, Android and new platforms as they emerge. The role will include opportunities to grow your experience and skills as well as travel to other EA locations and work directly with studios around the globe.
For candidates with the right mix of technical experience and leadership potential, Frostbite provides a stimulating and fun work environment where you can tackle really exciting and rewarding projects that make real impact on the games enjoyed by millions.
- Collaboratively working to deliver high-quality cross-platform products in C++
- Play your part to define and grow the engineering culture of teams at Frostbite.
- You’ll be expected to contribute to hands-on development.
- Working with customers and our leaders to understand customer needs and delivering incrementally on their highest priority features and requirements.
- Ensuring our designs are simple and effective, backed up with great documentation to accelerate ease of use and future maintenance.
- Mentor and help develop less experienced engineers
- Excellent commercial experience C++
- Proven ability to work collaboratively with team members on a common code base
- Great communication skills
- Advanced background in Real-time / time critical systems & multiple hardware platforms – preferably game platform hardware.
- Adapt quickly and effectively to change
- Engineering quality excellence, testing, debugging and documentation leadership.
- Proven ability to lead one or more of people, projects or technical products.
Desirable skills (one or more is helpful):
- Expertise in many disparate technologies, typically ranging from front-end user interfaces through to back-end systems and all points in between.
- Windows programming - lower level e.g. graphics, networking, GUIs etc.
- WPF and other GUI design experience
- Compilers or drivers - kernel level work, compiler, linker, assembler, parsing, parallel computation.
- Linux experience, hobbyist, university or open source projects.
- Graphics or Video experience e.g. Image Processing, codecs, OpenGL, Direct3D, DirectX etc.
- Physics domain expertise and knowledge of game physics and animation.
- Understanding of mechanics, math and numerical methods.
- Experience of Agile development methods
- Experience as line manager of more junior engineers
Please note that the nature of our business may require that certain aspects of this job description may be subject to modification and change during the individual's period of employment.
Frostbite UK is based in EA’s UK office in the centre of Guildford. It is a dynamic and creative place to work with on-site facilities such as restaurant, coffee bars and a gym. There is easy access to the main station, town centre and other amenities. We maintain a team-focussed and collaborative working environment and put a great value on our employees work life balance.
Our creative work ethos rewards new and different ideas. It's an environment that attracts brilliant talent from around the globe. No matter which of our studio locations you join, you'll feel the energy and support of EA's global brand, while thriving on our world-class campuses. At EA, the excitement you feel throughout each workday is made possible by a culture that inspires you to do the best work of your career.