Design Technical Director
- Québec City, Canada
Ubisoft Québec is a leader in the video game industry and is located in the heart of Quebec City’s Saint-Roch neighbourhood. Involved in many of Ubisoft’s flagship franchises, the studio gained a strong expertise, leading to its implication in the development of AAA games. By the end of 2016, the team will exceed 400 people, all of which are united by the desire of pushing boundaries, building high quality worlds and creating memorable gaming experiences.
The technical director (TD) will ensure the quality of the technical content produced by his working unit. The incumbent must optimize team productivity through pipeline processes by taking online user needs into account. The TD will carry out his tasks by adequately determining project needs, implementing effective tools and methods to maximize data integration in the game engine and provide technical support for his/her team.
The main and routine tasks of the technical director are to:
* Define his team’s technical needs to carry out the creative vision (design and artistic) by validating the game features and challenging the interpretation to assess technical feasibility;
* Acquire the best internal and external tools, in collaboration with the programming team and other project TDs, to enhance and facilitate the work of the working unit by prototyping technological elements, asking that existing tools be adjusted, requesting new tools or validating the effectiveness of the tools provided before they are deployed on the project;
* Establish the vision for the best work methods and data structure (data and assets) to standardize work methods and ensure the validity and integrity of the data (meet standards and minimize debugging) by drafting pipeline documents, setting out a common classification system, trainings, coaching and supervising processes users;
* Determine enhancements and resolve issues to provide technical support to the working unit by working in close collaboration with programmers and training certain team members to be specialists in resolving specific issues;
* Remain informed of new technical and technological developments to be able to apply these developments on the project whenever relevant and share project developments with peers (TDs on other projects and in other working units);
* Help plan the work in collaboration with the person who oversees planning based on the scope of each task and the impact of the working unit in order to establish a compromise between quality objectives and delivery constraints (time, costs, resources, etc.);
* Follow up on the tasks of assistant TDs (if applicable) to assess the progress of the deliverables and coach TDs to ensure that their careers progress;
* Contribute to external tools selection (engine, plug-in, E-confluence, etc.) to ensure that working units’ needs are considered by assessing existing tools and helping to design and test new tools whenever necessary;
* Driving the optimization and debugging to fix the issues raised in his field of expertise;
* Carry out all other related tasks.
College diploma in his/her working unit for game design or equivalent.
* Minimum 5 years’ experience in the video game sector or other relevant experiences;
* Experience in his working unit at all game production phases;
* Experience on 2-3 games productions;
* 2 years’ experience as an assistant TD an asset.
Skills and Knowledge
* User focus;
* Time and priority management skills;
* Coaching skills;
* Ability to draft technical documents (in French);
* Good communication and interpersonal skills;
* Stress and change management skills;
* Resourcefulness in problem-solving;
* Proficiency in English (good communication skills, ability to draft technical documents).