Paradox Development Studio is looking to hire a Tools Programmer to work in a dynamic, playful and exciting environment. For the person with the right skills and mindset we can offer a great opportunity to work with skilled colleagues and have fun!
As a Tools Programmer, you will work on new and powerful systems that will empower our game teams and enable them to develop bigger and better experiences in our grand strategy games. You will get to work on a variety of user-friendly tools that will improve the workflows of all disciplines in our game teams.
- Design, implement and support user-friendly tools to be used by all disciplines in our game teams and engine team.
- Work closely with users to improve their experiences with our tools and ensure their needs are met.
- Work closely with the Engine team to develop new features in the Clausewitz Engine as required to meet the needs of tools development.
- Identify workflow issues in our game teams and discover opportunities for improvement.
- At least 2 years of professional experience working with C/C++ (experience with game development not required but considered a plus).
- Strong programming skills in C/C++.
- Able to work closely with tools users from all disciplines to identify and prioritise needs.
- Passion for developing user-friendly tools and applications.
- Comfortable in English, both written and spoken.
- Experience with Python.
- Experience using source control systems, such as SVN and Git.
- Experience working on Windows, macOS and Linux.
- Experience with CMake.
The ideal candidate has an interest in creating user-focused systems and is driven to iterate and refine so that our team can work with maximum efficiency. It is important to us that you are able to take ownership of the systems and features you work on and to ensure that they are of a high quality and meet the needs of our users. You should be passionate about developing tools that will be used in game development and you should be able to easily adapt to new systems and programming methods. You should be good at co-operating with new groups of people but also able to work independently. As a person you are positive, dedicated, responsible, and love a challenge. An interest in strategy games, and in particular the grand strategy games from Paradox, will be considered a plus.
As part of your application, you should also complete our path-finding problem. We will evaluate your solution based on performance, stability and readability. This is your opportunity to demonstrate to us what you’re capable of and that you’re the person that we want to develop the tools that will be used to produce our future games. You will find the test by clicking here.
Scope: Full-time and permanent
Reports To: PDS Tech Lead
If you think that this description matches your background, we highly encourage you to apply as soon as possible as we will interview candidates continuously for this position. In your application, please show us why your previous experiences and skills would work for this role and why you are interested in working at Paradox. If you don't match all the requirements, please demonstrate how your passion, attitude and interest in Paradox might compensate for this.
Since we strive for a more even gender distribution we highly encourage women to apply to this role.