Software Engineer - DevOps
Location: Dundee, United Kingdom
Type: Full TimeMin. Experience: Mid Level
Founded in 2010 and based in Dundee, Scotland, Outplay Entertainment is the largest independent mobile developer in the UK.
To date, the studio’s games have received over 55 million downloads, have been featured multiple times as Apple’s Editors’ Choice and received a BAFTA nomination. Most recently the studio won the 2016 TIGA Outstanding Growth Award.
With a passionate focus on making the best games, our team of 200 talented and dynamic Outplayers have developed several critically acclaimed original games which include, Castle Creeps, Alien Creeps TD, Mystery Match, Crafty Candy and Bubble Genius as well as Angry Birds POP! in partnership with Rovio. With an exciting pipeline of future games and continued growth on existing games Outplay can offer fantastic opportunities in a great working environment to continue your career development.
We are looking for a Software Engineer to join our growing and talented team where you will apply your software development skills to help shape our innovative, engaging and enjoyable games across the mobile and social gaming landscape.
Outplay is a data driven company. From providing direct access for Designers and Producers to understand the performance of Game Features to enabling C-level Management to make decision based on KPI analysis and prediction, data is leading our strategy.
As part of the DevOps team, you will be responsible for developing cloud-based game services, internal web apps that operate our cloud-based game services, provide real-time data to our teams via customised dashboards, and other tooling required by various internal departments.
We are looking for a mid-level Software Engineer with the ability to learn quickly. We will also consider junior developers with strong and relevant experience. Without a doubt, the number one attribute you must possess is a fantastic attitude.
This is an opportunity to push the envelope in a cutting edge serverless, microservice architecture with the bonus of having a direct, tangible and significant impact on developing and operating software that delivers on a global scale.
Outplay is going through a phase of tremendous growth. We are currently transitioning to a modern, serverless microservice architecture using AWS, using technologies such as Lambda, DynamoDB, RedShift and API Gateway. We are in the middle stages of migrating our game services and will concentrate 2017 on adding features and abilities that will transform our business. Applying lean startup principles we shape our back log based on data analysis and use Kanban to prioritise our work to achieve maximum impact.
Areas of delivery
- Utilise Amazon Web Services (AWS) to deliver a continuously available, high-performing, high-capacity game server infrastructure - including EC2, S3, CloudWatch, Route53, SNS, SQS, SES to name a few.
- Assist in automating the scalable AWS infrastructure, from development to deployment to operation.
- Ensure our systems are monitored and run reliably 24/7/365 and contribute to continuous improvements of the existing stack.
- Excellent team player who can learn from and share their knowledge with others.
- Have an appreciation for mobile games and technologies.
- Be degree qualified in Computer Science or similar, or with excellent experience.
- Experience in SQL and NoSQL database design, development, administration and tuning, preferably MongoDB, DynamoDB and PostgreSQL.
- Experience with Linux server administration and scripting, preferably Ubuntu and Amazon Linux, but we're happy to speak with you if you have other server-based Linux distro skills.
- Experience with AWS is a must.
- Experience scaling server-side infrastructure and applications, both vertically and horizontally.
- Experience automating deployment and operations in a continuously available environment.