CHARACTER PRODUCTION MANAGER
Our Character Art team design and create the characters and creatures that populate our game worlds. We love what we do and we want you to be part of it.
We are seeking an experienced Character Production specialist to help supervise the technical and artistic production workflow of character assets within global Rockstar studios and outsource partners. This isn’t an art-creation role; but if you have that talent and prior experience it will be enormously valuable in this position.
The successful candidate will work within the Character Department based at Rockstar North in Edinburgh, functioning as part of our very experienced global team who are passionate about making industry-leading games.
You will be an exceptionally organised person, with experience of both Excel and Production planning/tracking software. Meticulous in your production approach, you will fit in with our friendly and wholly collaborative working methodology on our large-scale projects.
Excellent communication skills are a prerequisite.
You’ll place an essential importance on adherence to tight and defined technical processes and specifications, ensuring assets meeting the required art direction brief for creative and feeding back where necessary. You will provide consistent, on-time production deliverables and status reporting to global teams.
You are extremely well-versed in current game art production techniques yet have an eye on future workflows and tool developments. You’re comfortable working game-side too, using engine tools to manage content. Technical understanding is hugely helpful, as is experience managing Outsource Art production.
An essential understanding of the modelling, sculpting and texturing workflow for both human characters and creatures of all types to world-class standards is vital for this role.
The ideal candidate has extensive and proven AAA development experience specifically working within a Character team. They will apply themselves daily with focus, purpose, patience and passion.
Interpersonal & Team Skills:
- Self-motivated with pleasant, cogent communication skills both written and in-person.
- Have daily experience with Project management/planning and bug tracking software.
- Accurately follow common goals and time-driven tasks whilst working under own initiative.
- Effective time management skills - delivering briefed tasks to deadlines without sacrificing quality.
- Skilled at consistent feed-back on macro and broader task progress.
- Ability to collaborate effectively with other related disciplines in a large development team.
- Willingness to work effectively with global studios and 3rd party partners.
Art Production Requirements:
- A full understanding of all current generation production workflows as they pertain to character and creature art asset production, including the needs and requirements of other dependent disciplines.
- A critical, working awareness of the expense of a game asset relative to the target engine/rendering requirements – polygon counts and texture sizes, UV layouts and alpha usage, and best practice mesh topology for rigging/animation.
- Extensive hands-on experience and/or understanding of ZBrush, 3DStudio Max and Marvellous Designer for modelling and asset construction, and Adobe Photoshop for texturing.
- A keen appreciation of structure and construction/design silhouette in respect of sculpt and modelling, form and volume.
- Advanced knowledge of other relevant character production facets: including photogrammetry, cloth simulation, physically-based shaders, and retopology tools.
- Minimum 6+ years relevant games development experience.
- Shipped current generation console titles as a Supervisory/Senior production artist or Art producer.
- Formal education such as University, Art/Design school or equivalent level of experience.
- Deep understanding and love of era-specific culture as they relate to costuming and dress.
- A modelling and texturing portfolio showing a varied range of realistically focused 3D character art completed to a very high standard is beneficial.
- Strong traditional art foundations in sculpting and drawing are also a plus.
- Awareness of new techniques that increase art quality and efficiency across disciplines.
- Willingness to test and use new workflow tools, both internal and 3rd party.
- Knowledge of Substance suite, Quixel suite, Mari.
- A detail obsessed eye for creating and manipulating texture maps for shader passes within a physically based rendering path - diffuse, normal, specular roughness, dirt and weathering, etc.