Senior Platform Programmer
Sports Interactive (SI) is the world's leading developer of football management simulations through its Football Manager series of games. Founded in 1994 and now based in East London's booming technology hub of Old Street, SI, as a continually successful and profitable company, is now looking to expand its full-time staff as it pushes out across both existing and emerging gaming platforms.
SI's games have enjoyed an unparalleled history of commercial and critical success, with 12 of its creations among the UK's Top 20 fastest-selling PC games of all time and five in the UK's top 20 best-selling PC games of all time. Sports Interactive became a wholly owned subsidiary of SEGA in 2006.
The studio is a vibrant environment, full of talented and dedicated people with drive, passion and creativity, who enjoy working within a close-knit team as part of a lively, self-motivated and forward-thinking company. Sports Interactive looks after its staff's well-being with free gym membership, in-house massage therapy, a leading benefits package and a flexible working schedule that make the studio a relaxed and friendly place to work. The company also arranges regular team social events and is very proud of having one of the lowest turnovers of staff in the industry.
Further information on Sports Interactive and its games is available from the SI website, www.sigames.com .
We are looking for an experienced platform programmer with a passion for designing and implementing frameworks and libraries. While you may have a specialist field, you are also a generalist and are able to work across a number of different areas.
You have long experience of troubleshooting and debugging, and can identify and fix issues while considering the whole picture.
You also find it rewarding to pass your knowledge and experience to others, in particular mentoring less experienced colleagues.
You will be joining our dynamic core tech team, reporting into the technical director, where you will be maintaining and improving as well as optimising and adding new functionality to our shared platform libraries across multiple platforms. The work we do is fundamental for our games as well as internal and external tools.
- Analyse, identify and fix issues in our platform libraries across five platforms and operating systems.
- Investigate and identify areas that need improvements and advise on the direction we are going.
- Design and implement improvements in existing code as well as new functionality that is required.
- Mentor less experienced colleagues to improve knowledge and best practices.
Knowledge, Skills and Experience
- Extensive C++ knowledge.
- Minimum five years of professional experience using C++ as the main language.
- Substantial experience of cross-platform development across multiple desktop platforms, two or more of: Windows, Mac and Linux/Unix.
- Ample experience of developing for iOS or Android or both.
- A thorough understanding of performance and optimisation.
- Excellent analytical and problem solving skills.
- Excellent communication skills and ability to work in a team as well as independently.
- Good knowledge and experience of other programming and scripting languages.
- Great software engineering skills.
- Self-motivated with a drive to improve yourself and others continuously.