Position at Hardlight
Hardlight is an established SEGA UK games developer focused on ' Games as a Service' for Mobile, PC and VR. Founded with the ethos of staying compact, agile and focused - combining talent from a variety of game genres, platforms and backgrounds we are working closely with SEGA publishing on new and existing products and IP.
Our open plan office is in the heart of Royal Leamington Spa - a thriving town with a bustling game-development scene. A small, dedicated, developer with drive, passion and creativity - right now we are looking for key people to come and join us on some very ambitious new projects.
SEGA has an industry leading benefits package and flexible working environment that make this a relaxed and friendly place to work, and that's just the tip of the iceberg.
Lead UI Artist
The Lead UI artist is a pivotal role within the studio developing and directing all the games user interfaces and menus across all our titles. Leading our dedicated UI / UX team this candidate will be responsible for developing the games UI style guides, core game menu flows, creating user stories and implementing art assets within the games engine.
- Working to a functional and aesthetic brief, adapting to different art styles and keeping consistency with the overall game style. Create UI style guides spanning various game genres and styles for use by the whole team.
- Create 2D UI assets, UI skinning and define UI layout utilizing Unity UI and other game engines.
- Define usability strategies; front end flow and menu hierarchy design / layout.
- Lead a dedicated UI team of artists and designers over multiple projects, including task tracking, project management and performance reviews.
- Develop and concept a wide range of UI styles across multiple genres and gaming platforms from mobile to PC.
- Work closely with engineers to create an end user-experience that is both serviceable and aesthetically pleasing.
- Work closely with SEGA publishing departments to develop compelling UI on all new and existing SEGA IP.
- Assist in defining the art creation process from concept through to completion.
- Pro-active, self-driven individual with great organisation skills and a "raise the bar" attitude.
- Able to take direction and continually iterate on designs to refine and optimise.
- Good interpersonal skills, strong communicator, and able to deliver clear and concise feedback to all team disciplines, as a Leader, Collaborator and Mentor.
- 5+ years' experience in games industry.
- Proven UI/UX experience on at least two shipped mobile titles, and a very strong UI portfolio
- A strong understanding of the mobile games development ecosystem and market.
- Development experience using Unity (or similar game engines).
- Technical understanding to develop complex, accurate and structured UI layouts.
- Strong 2D Art and illustration skills, expert knowledge of Adobe Suite.
- Passion for games & mobile gaming.
- All applicants must be based in the UK or mainland Europe .
- Proficiency in classic drawing, storyboard and / or illustration.
- Experience with version control system, eg. Git and Perforce.
- Experience in 3D packages (3DsMax / Maya / Modo).
- Axure, html, Flash, actionscript experience.
This job description is an accurate reflection of the duties and responsibilities of the post as at the time of writing but will be changed from time to time as the job is a career development job which will be adjusted according to the progress of the job holder. It does not form part of the contract of employment.