Sumo Digital is one of the UK's most prolific and secure independent game developers with a talented team of over 270 staff currently based in Sheffield. A second UK studio in Nottingham opened in 2016 and now has many fantastic new opportunities on the horizon.
Since our inception in 2003 we have had a had a string of successful titles across all gaming platforms for partners that include Microsoft, SEGA, Sony, Disney and many more.
Our most recent successes include Forza Horizon 2 (Xbox 360), LittleBigPlanet 3 (PlayStation 4, and PlayStation 3) and Disney Infinity 3.0 Toy Box Speedway (multi-platform). We are also incredibly proud to be working on the highly anticipated Crackdown 3 (Xbox One) and Dead Island 2 (multi-platform) plus several other exciting but currently unannounced projects.
Opening in March 2016, Sumo Digital’s Nottingham studio has grown steadily, featuring highly experienced industry talent covering a wide range of disciplines. The studio’s first full project is now well under way, with many more exciting opportunities also ahead.
2017 will be Sumo’s biggest and best year ever. Come and be part of it.
Role and Purpose
We are seeking an experienced FPS designer to join our Nottingham studio on an exciting unannounced title. Working with the design team you will use your FPS development experience to help with all areas of design including weapons, modes and mechanics.
• Work with the team to concept ideas for features, mechanics and modes.
• Ensure your work is consistent with the high-level player experience of the game.
• Actively seek out feedback to refine your designs.
• Collaborate with the wider team to ensure your feature is supported by art, animation and audio in order to deliver the intended player experience.
• Refine implementation to ensure that the mechanic is clearly communicated to players.
• Balance implementation so that it is accessible to players across a range of skill levels.
• Bug fixing of implemented systems.
Skills Experience and Qualifications
• Knowledge of what makes a great FPS experience
• Unreal Engine 4 experience, including using blueprints.
• Experience of working on a console or PC first or third person shooting/action title.
• Experience designing and implementing an online multiplayer title.
• A clear understanding of fundamental action title mechanics and how they are implemented.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
• At least one shipped FPS title
• Programming and/or scripting experience.
• Experience tuning game systems in response to feedback.
• 3D modelling skills
• Proven experience building levels in a modern editor such as UE4 or Unity.
• Experience with the Agile development process.
What We Offer
We offer competitive salaries, excellent benefits and a generous holiday entitlement. The environment itself is relaxed, friendly and built upon the basis of every team member having ownership and a realisable input into the games we create.
We are proud to be located in Nottingham, just ten minutes’ walk from Nottingham train station and with good access to the north and the south via the M1. Nottingham itself benefits from a wealth of attractions, including a diverse range of bars and restaurants, several art galleries and a wide variety of cultural events.
Highlights include the Theatre Royal, the Nottingham Contemporary art gallery, the National Video Game Arcade and the Motorpoint Arena Nottingham. The annual GameCity festival takes place throughout Nottingham city centre, celebrating the culture, innovation and creativity of video games and their development.
If you have a passion for making and playing games and feel you have the skills, experience, and most importantly, the talent that we need – we very much look forward to hearing from you.