Lead Lighting Artist
The Coalition are looking for a Lead Lighting artist to work on the Gears of War franchise. The ideal candidate has a thorough knowledge of lighting fundamentals including value, color and composition and an excellent understating of how these come together to shape game environments and inform gameplay. This is a full time position and we will offer immigration/relocation support, if required.
• Partner with the AD to create and evangelize the lighting vision of the game to his/her team.
• Drives toward world class quality by conducting reviews and providing feedback, stepping in when needed to help demonstrate and maintain quality across the team.
• Set an example for the lighting team by upholding The Coalition Art team principles by building a creative, positive & inspiring culture.
• Manage the lighting team, helping to facilitate professional growth by providing feedback and conducting timely 1 on 1’s.
• Work with the tech art team to develop, test and maintain workflows, always keeping in mind the opportunities that come with working in a real time game engine.
• Ensure the lighting team delivers high quality lighting while maintaining performance budgets.
• 7+ years of experience, either in Games or a combination of Games & Film.
• Experience shipping at least 2 large scale games as Lighting Lead.
• Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
• Outstanding knowledge of both real-time and pre-rendered lighting principals (dynamic lighting, light bake solutions, sub surface scattering, HDR)
• Thorough understanding of how light, shadow and color create tone and mood.
• Exceptional grasp for compositional storytelling and cinematography.
• Background in real world photography, cinematography and lighting a plus.
• Relevant 2D and 3D software experience, such as Unreal 4, Maya, Photoshop.
• Ability to work collaboratively - must be open to direction and able to embrace change.
• Ability to prototype and communicate new lighting approaches and techniques.
• Works well with deadlines
ABOUT THE COALITION:
The Coalition is a growing team of talented, creative, fun-loving professionals from around the world who are united in their passion for Gears of War. Located in Vancouver, Canada, the studio is dedicated to pushing the Gears franchise to new heights with its belief that if you want to go far, go together.