Reflections, a Ubisoft studio is a video games development company based in Newcastle, UK. Collaborating with Ubisoft's international creative teams on projects such as Assassins Creed Syndicate, Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon, online open-world RPG "The Division" as well as the adventure platformer "Grow Home". With a host of other top titles to our name such as open-world action adventure 'Watch Dogs', MMO racer "The Crew" and the latest instalment in the world's No.1 dance game franchise 'Just Dance 2015' Reflections' objective is to combine technical expertise, flair and innovation to create and contribute to successful and memorable games. We are looking for Pioneering, Obsessive Humans to cement its reputation as an industry leading studio within the UK and the world.
The successful candidate will work within a collaborative multidiscipline environment implementing gameplay features that meet the requirements of the project’s Lead Designer and Lead Programmer. Responsible for defining and tracking the schedule for their team, managing and mentoring individuals within the engineering team, and being an evangelist for the project.
- Work with production, engineers, design and art team leads to create task estimates and schedules for the gameplay engineering team and track development efforts across the team.
- Balance active code development with the management requirements and responsibilities of a discipline lead.
- Ensure the delivery of practical and timely solutions by the gameplay engineering team that meets the game design and technical requirements.
- Ensure code is modular, self-contained, and defensive and observes the technical constraints on the system by leading regular technical design and code reviews.
- Ensure coding standards are followed, and help to enforce good programming practices within the engineering team.
- Ensure the creation of technical documentation for the engineering team.
- Mentor, manage and regularly review individuals to build a cohesive and effective team.
- Optimise code and data for memory usage and performance as required.
- Write debugging tools for programmers, level designers and artists.
- Passionate about playing and making games.
- Good understanding of gameplay technology, and can use their technical knowledge in various areas such as mathematics, physics, animation, artificial intelligence to implement gameplay features, and believable behaviors.
- Ability to work in an iterative environment with game designers to quickly prototype gameplay features.
- Excellent C/C++ programming skills, with good knowledge of object oriented development.
- Experience with commonly used development tools such as Visual Studio and perforce.
- Familiarity with common scheduling, task and issue tracking tools – MS Project, Jira etc…
- Able to create, manage and track schedules for a team of engineers.
- Self-motivated and pro-active with a strong work ethic.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant subject or equivalent industry experience.
- Substantial commercial software development experience with significant involvement in 2 published games.
- Knowledge of common algorithms, data structures and patterns, and the ability to apply them to problems while keeping constraints and performance in mind.
- Able to analyse unfamiliar code of a reasonable complexity to understand and extend the functionality of an existing module.
- Has knowledge of different software development methods such as Test Driven Development, Unit Testing, Agile etc…
- Proven ability to debug defects of a reasonable complexity.
Salary: Competitive + Relocation
Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, U.K